South American Algae Eaters???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TetraFreak

Church of the Freshwater Aquarium!
Dec 14, 2005
Sweet Home "Northern" Alabama
I'm running a planted South American tank and have my Acaras eating the little otos I've been trying to get to grow up into the algae squad.

Are there any other small-ish algae eaters that are native to S.A. eco system? I have a Medusa pleco and cories bot that's not enough and the larger plecos will thrash and uproot the plants. I've thought about breaking the S.S. species and doing a couple SAE's but would rather maintain the full S.A. biotope.

Suggestions???

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I kept a bn pleco in my high tech CO2 added planted tank with dwarf hair grass and baby tears just fine. The trick is to let such plants root before adding the bristle. Try getting a smaller oen and if it starts to give you issues when it gets bigger, sell, trade or give it away and start again with a smaller one.

Reactions: TetraFreak

TetraFreak

Dec 14, 2005
I'm also trying to find more mature otos that the Acaras can't fit in their mouth.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I would recommend something like a single headstander, either Anostomus, or Abramites. Always eating algae off everything, and other than being a bit of a jerk, it can be a good community fish.
Since the Acaras are already well established there, the 'jerkish' headstander will enter cold at the bottom of the pecking order, and will end in a good combination. They are woderful and smart fish, if one finds a good setup for them.
Below, the lineated headstander Anostomus anostomus, single fish in one of my community tanks.

Anostomus comp.jpg

TetraFreak

Dec 14, 2005
I'm looking at the smaller Ternetzi Headstander.

How well to they do on the glass algae?

and as they are a Characin they should get along well with all my tetras. I'm thinking a small school of 3-4 for the 55 gallon. Or will they school with the other tetras is 1 or 2 are put in?

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I have not been able to have headstanders in groups. The last time, I started with 3, one got killed, and then the others were fighting so I separated them, and much later I only have one, the single fish above. I think that in a 55g it if fine to have a single of them, more will be bad idea.
Another interesting Anostomidae is Chilodus punctatus. Those need to be in groups and are relatively small. They eat plants some and certainly algae. I have not had them but have wanted them. Not always available easily for sale but I see them in Wespot and Aquabid at times.

RE- A. anostomus - They are good on algae in general, always browsing. They are perfect with all tetras. They can be nippy but but in the right setup their jerkiness is 'neutralized', and not be a problem. Not fishes for everybody.

Reactions: TetraFreak

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Neither a flag tail nor an Anostomus would eat even the smaller fry, let alone eat an angel. Thy just don’t do that. An Anostomus could nip at angels fin if introduced in a non smartest way, but no more.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Neither a flag tail nor an Anostomus would eat even the smaller fry, let alone eat an angel. Thy just don’t do that. An Anostomus could nip at angels fin if introduced in a non smartest way, but no more.
Was just commenting on size... after all the flag tail is nearly twice as large. I'm setting up a 10 ft tank (450 gallon) and the Anostomus interest me as an alterative to Crossocheilus siamensis or Crossocheilus langei; i guess one negative is per reading I would need either 1 or 6. I suspect the flag tail would push the stocking a bit to the limit given the size; but it is a pretty fish. It sounds from my reading that is one fish that prefer to be in a large school but i don' t think i'll setup a 4500 gallon tank this life time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store