Speaker foam in tank OK?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
Photo of my tank showing ABS background:
IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

ZorroNet

AC Members
Sep 21, 2013
Paxton, FL
flfarmersmarket.com
Real Name
Dave
That background looks cool! Very creative way to mask the back of the tank :)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Honestly, when it comes to my fish tanks I always choose to err on the side of caution.

some things we put in the tank may appear safe , short term but in effect turn into a long term problem.

cubequeen

AC Members
Apr 28, 2007
Indiana
www.etsy.com
Real Name
Karen
Just an update on the back wall situation. After determining that a back wall of speaker foam might not be safe I put in the ABS sheet with holes shown in the photo above. I have now decided that this is going to have to be removed. I have a fish with a bad case of fungus on the ridge of his back and there may be another fish with a similar spot, but smaller. Having read that fungus does not usually attack healthy tissue, it seems likely that the problem started with an injury of some sort. Since the fish tend to like to get behind the ABS wall, then eventually come to the front of the tank, I think a likely scenario is that they have scraped their backs passing through the holes in the ABS sheet, so tonight it's coming out. I'm thinking of going back to the idea of a foam back wall, BUT I will get something I can be sure is safe, either some Poret foam from Swiss Tropicals or the foam sold by Angels Plus. Haven't decided yet, and I'm still trying to figure out how to support it.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
What are the dimensions of your 30G cube tank?

I find that the 2" thick Poret foam is stiff enough to span my tanks that are 18" wide without needing any support. I've never tried it on a wider tank.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The Poret foam will frequently be used as a Hamburger Mattenfilter without any support other than a slight bow outwards at the middle and support at the edges.

I expect you'll be able to use it with minimal, if any, support.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store