Speaking of CPDs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
In my vacation thread, in the newbie forum, I mentioned my celestial pearl danios. Freshy Fresh said that they only come out to be fed and hide in the java forest. I have read that they are extremely shy and that is normal for them. I have also read that they like to stay near the bottom of the tank. Well I must have some new strain, because mine are always out there swimming with the harlequin rasboras in the middle of the water, and they seem to be especially happy now that I have increased the flow of water at the surface of the tank. They are not at all shy and come zooming over to be fed whenever I come near the tank. Since I have added more circulation they seem extra invigorated and look larger and more colorful. I would love to hear some of your experiences with these little guys. I am so pleased that mine are showing off in my planted 20g tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
bio- it could very well be my setup that causing my CPDs to be so shy. All I have in this tank besides the CPDs is a lone silver hatchet fish that never leaves the surface, a multitude of tiny snails and too many red cherry shrimp to count.

I'm thinking if I had some better dither type fish in the tank, these CPDs would come out more. They're such pretty little things, I wish I could see them. Here's a fairly recent pic of the 10g my CPDs are in:

[/URL][/IMG]

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Hi Joel and Dennis. Thanks for your replies. Joel, my tank isn't too different from yours in the way it is set up. I think maybe the other rasboras get the little CPDs moving around. The Harlequins are always out front and swimming.

Dennis your little CPDs look very happy and not at all shy. Again, I think it is probably the habit of the harlequins that gets the cpds out there, up, down and all around the tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
... I think it is probably the habit of the harlequins that gets the cpds out there, up, down and all around the tank.
I was in Petsmart yesterday to pick up some AC30 sponges and couldn't resist some harlequin rasboras..:headshake2: Yeah I know.. My awesome LFS is closing it's doors at the end of the month are are pretty horribly picked over at this point. TOTALLY heart-broken over this.

I picked up 5 of them to add into my 10g. Yes.. very dangerous not quarantining, but I added them right in. They do indeed bring out the CPDs more, but not a whole lot more. It's funny how the little rasboras hang mid-tank and the CPDs take the bottom. I've never kept harlequin rasboras before. Neat little buggers. A little darty, but not too shy. They school and sometimes loosely cruise about.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
How sad about your LFS. I wish we had an awesome one around here.
Anyway I think you will enjoy the Harlequins and I think your CPDs will as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store