Specific Gravity of Freshwater + Salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
It also depends on what type of salt you are adding here. If this is just freshwater aquarium salt then it is mostly NaCl which no fish needs except for treatment purposes. If the fish are the type that need any sort of brackish conditions to thrive (even low level ones )then you will need a marine mix of salt.

If anyone can show proof that freshwater fish thrive with NaCl added to their water long term then that would be great.

For the record I use tap water, no salt and my tanks have had no disease for the 4 years they have been running.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
True brackish water is a mixture of salt and freshwater, generally occuring in delat etc.. Thus it is supposed to have a higher pH and avariety of dissolved solids. That is why freshwater fish don't live in brackish water excpet for short periods of time.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
I am with Agreement, no salt for fish. I have read many articals by Biologists on this and most say nay. There is no need, it may cause more harm in the long run.
If you want healthy fish, do more water changes, either once to twice a week. Many had always felt that using salt was a tonic and would help improve the health of the fish. Well this is being disproven and just general maintence to your tank is needed.
Replace filters often and do weekly water changes and you will have healthy fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store