Sprout on Driftwood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I have a pretty large peice of driftwood in my 10g. Part of it actually sticks up out of the water pretty close to the light. Yesterday I noticed a small little green plant sprouting out of the driftwood near the light. Does anyone know what it is? Should I cut it off of there? And if I were to put the driftwood in my 55 would the plant continue to grow underwater?

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
UncaBret said:
How long have you had it in the tank?
Did you buy it or find it outside?
How did you prepare it?
Can you give us a pic?

Heck, some people pay extra to get plants on driftwood!
It has been in the tank for 2 weeks. It was in my 55g previous to that for about a month or so. My boyfriend bought it, I'm not sure where. I boiled it for 20 mins or so before putting it into the 55g. I'm sorry but not capable of pics at this time. The driftwood looks like a root of a tree and is twisted into a circular shape. The sprout is at the very top of the circle, it is actually out of the water.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I am very curious. I am going to let it go and see what happens, the only problem is that it wont have much room up there at the top of the tank. It is a little over an inch tall now. I was surprised when I opened the lid and saw it there! My boyfriend(who I forgot to tell about the sprout) was so surprised this morning when he went to feed the betta that he called me here at work to tell me about it. My bf's little bro might come over this weekend, and if he does I will see if he can bring his camera and take a pic so I can show yall.

Joseph1391

~ * i LoVe BeTtaS * ~
Feb 28, 2006
South Pekin, Illinois
Yeah I will take my camera lol.. I want to see what the plant looks like!!

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
It sounds like to me that the root is not dead. Maybe if you Add ferts to the water you'll eventually have a tree.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store