Sps picos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brandon429

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
small polyped scleractinians, just a type of coral that was once exclusive to multithousand dollar systems and the care methods are evolving into just the bare necessities...

thank you for noticing that about the glass, I directly planted it like that for that reason. Not one time in thousands of views has anyone asked about it until now, so thats some kind of artistic completion for the universe how does it feel to be that person. really though it was just a take off on those illusion effects sold at pet stores where the magnet shark is in two halves one inside one outside the tank, but I did it with a montipora coral skeleton on the outside, superglued to the tank, and a direct match of the living version directly on top of it making that look- again thanks. i made up the term exoscaping corny but fitting.

brandon429

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
identification invite

if anyone can identify this animal you are in a league of your own. It is exactly the size of this letter o and it was found swimming around the currents, settling across rocks.

acoel flatworms were the first suspect. but this has a body cavity and symmetry and knoblike radiata not found in helminths or any other worm we've seen. it has zooxanthellae, like coral, my idea is it could be a coral planula.

a standing request exists for anyone to provide a google link describing this animal

URO.1.jpg URO.2.jpg

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
I tend to agree with you on this one as possible coral planula since you already have Alv growing on the glass on its own if I understood correctly.

Although never have seen such crawling/free swimming personally, I had many corals pop up on the glass/rock, even stem of other branch corals out of no where.
I did not realized until when I discover cloudiness of the tank one morning. It looked like if someone dose calcium powder additive. Not thinking, I applied mechanical filter (DOnt believe in mech filters in reef) only to realize that the timing was around FULL MOON. Never made that mistakes again. From time to time, I noticed similar cloudiness which were sequenced with full moon. I actually saw limpets releasing couple of time when stayed up late during full moon phase.
From that moment on, I spend more time looking for new growth (motly lps, Goniopora, Euphyllia, etc: not too many sps in early 90's other than hydnophora, monti , etc) and to my surprises, found many all over the tanks.
Never made millions by growing them, lol, but what a fascinating experiences!!

OMG, Itching is getting worse by the minute, lol!

reefyoyo1000

Registered Member
Jan 3, 2011
hey brandon i remember those vids there awesome (im rafflereefer10 on youtube)!
and critter lover the coral growing out of the glass is coal skalatons glued there
and sps stands for small polyp stony!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store