stain or paint wooden stand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

foolishfish

Registered Fish Offender
Dec 10, 2008
Where the wild things are
When all else fails read the directions. Most of the big box stores don't have many truly knowledgeable people available to help customers. Should you be lucky enough to have a local woodworking specialty or paint store I'd try there first in the future.

Also, if you decide that you'd like to build something later for staining, the urethane clear is perfect. Wood wise poplar is very easy to work and takes stain very well. It is often used as a substitute for cherry (see Kincaid Furniture - they always refer to their furniture as being solid wood and the finish as cherry or whatever but never solid cherry wood...and it looks pretty good).
http://www.kincaidfurniture.com/collection_detail.cfm?cid=169

Other traditional and not so traditional hardwoods (oak, walnut, cherry and teak or rosewood) all have their own little idiosyncrasies that are worth getting familiar with before you buy a piece but they all make beautiful furniture. Just remember:

1. Measure twice, then measure again, then cut.
2. Nails are for framing houses, joinery, screws and glue
are for building furniture.
3. PPPPPPP - Proper Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance
4. Safety is no joke. Unless you want to spend the rest of your life winkin' at everybody, wear safety glasses...always. My best friend is a one eyed plumber who puts 'em on when he leaves the house and doesn't take 'em off 'tll he gets home. He figures he can't afford another mistake. Also, wood dust and chemical fumes can hurt worse than crack, so wear a mask designed for the job (see read directions above).

Try to take your time even though it's running out. :)

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
I didn't ask the people at BBHS...I kinda took this to myself to learn how to do. :) Unfortunately, I don't have much time right now to learn something that takes a lot of time.

I've got 1, 2, and 4 down. #3...not so much. :lol:

I've always knew that woodworking was an art. Unfortunately, I'm more handy with tools, machines, and metal than wood. :)

foolishfish

Registered Fish Offender
Dec 10, 2008
Where the wild things are
Yeah, gotta ways to go and I've done it most of my life. Still don't understand why no matter how many times I cut it, it's still too short...(the inverse of #1 - measure once, cut twice, then cut again).

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
Well, you're all gonna think I'm :screwy:.

I went ahead and stained the stand. :thud:

It's actually coming out better than I expected.

I got the doors done but only partly complete with the stand (would have completely stained it all only if I didn't get called by my dad to go chase down parts for 2 hours).

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I think that's a good thing, if done right, stain would look better than paint IMO. Is the tank's frame black or wood colored?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store