Stalled Cycle?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

columbus

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong to stop my tank's cycle :( It's been almost a week since it stopped processing ammonia after I did about a 50% WC. I guess it's back to square one...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What are your current readings from a good liquid test kit?

columbus

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Are you dosing to 6 ppm NH3? That's more than enough and may even be inhibiting what bacteria you already have colonized. More ammonia does not = a quicker cycle...
I added a bit too much ammonia on the last dose...it looks about 6ppm it's hard to tell. Should I do a small water change?

columbus

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
Ok this is beyond frustrating....it's been almost 2 months and I just tested my water:

Ammonia: 2ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate: 0ppm Ph 7.0

I will add more ammonia, but should I change any of my filter media? I have an AC20 with a sponge, carbon, and bio media that have all been in there from the beginning

columbus

AC Members
Jul 25, 2010
I also have a lot of this white web like stuff on my fake driftwood...I shook it off and most of it is just laying on the substrate now. Is this harmful?

Nubster

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
Romney, WV
Real Name
Chad
Sounds like a fungus. There might be a better suggestion but you might have to start over. Drain the tank, boil everything to kill off all the stuff that is growing...good or bad, and start from fresh. If you have the AC HoB...IMO...get rid of everything but the sponge and add another one. I have had great success with just adding a second sponge and nothing else. It give plenty of mechanical filtration and more than enough area for bacteria to grow. You can gran another carbon pack to have on hand in case you need it for some reason but otherwise I would run just the sponges.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store