Starfish Invasion ! Good or Bad ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
Hi all,
For just over a month I have noticed a few arms sticking out from the rocks, Mainly after an hour or so from the last feed up until the night lights come on.
Well today I have just completed a water change in my 350dt and :jaw-dropping: every rock I picked up (generally I don't disturb much normally) had at least 4 or more baby Brittle Starfish, at least i think they are babies, as I have not put anything in the dt for a long time :huh:

So where have they come from, is this a good thing, if they are babies is there a large Mother and Father somewhere? And is this the reason my Mandarin has gone AWOL for at least 2 weeks? (she was fit and fat but also over 5 years old, I had assumed natural causes)

I have removed a few and taken some pics but are these beneficial and should be left in or do I need to find the Daddy?

All my parameters are good with slightly high nates (20-30ppm) and SG at 1.023

DSC01618.JPG DSC01639.JPG DSC01653.JPG DSC01647.JPG

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
wow you really do have alot LOL, no help from me sorry but this is interesting! you need a harlequin shrimp, dump all those stars back in there and theyll all be gobbled up in no time plus harlequins are the best

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
Do we all agree this is a sign of good water quality? Because I bet if you wanted to breed such creatures intentionally you'd struggle.
Or am I just grabbing straws!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Do we all agree this is a sign of good water quality? Because I bet if you wanted to breed such creatures intentionally you'd struggle.
Or am I just grabbing straws!
It has less to do with water quality (short of it being adequate for most invertebrates) and more to do with food sources. It means that you have at least have a reasonably productive community of macro-organisms. One step in the right direction of being more natural, if you ask me.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I have never found any reason to remove those micro brittle stars. They don't grow any bigger than what you see in the pictures and clean the rocks very good. Maybe wrasses eat them because I have 100's of them in my 29G and 0 in my 75G. I think they are good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store