Starting a 55 gallon, some questions (using natural rocks, etc)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishCR

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
The roseline sharks are very cool indeed. So instead of the bala shark, how about 6 or so roselines?

I'll be on the lookout for a canister filter on ebay if they really are very important.

FishCR

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
I have a diatom filter, a Vortex Inner space, from a long time ago. Would running that for a little while every few weeks do the job of a canister filter? Or is it an issue of available filter media? I'm on a very tight budget (I'm a senior in high school)

I'll look for Roseline's around here.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I don't know much about diatom filters :(

It's not that you need a canister filter, it's just they are really nice to have. I got my sunsun 302(I think that's the number for $49 shipped. It's as much as you'll pay for a good size HOB in my experience.

FishCR

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Oh wow, yeah, I was thinking $150+.

Also, now that I've bleached these rocks, how long should I let them soak in fresh water? Or is it even necessary? I've washed them twice and changed the water in the tub twice now.

Boost3383

AC Members
Mar 26, 2007
Live aquaria is over priced IMO. I've seen them around here for $7 each.

Good to know. The little snippets that Google found from other forums seemed to confirm that they were pretty pricey. Nice to see that pet stores are actually selling them for a more reasonable price.

prez06

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
greenville, nc
if i were to go the route of the link above, i think at least two of those fixtures would be needed, unless you plan on just using low light plants. i can't remember how deep a 55 is, but on my 40b i run a 1x96watt bulb and 2x30watt (i think) combination. not sure if the lights you mentioned are strong enough to reach the bottom of the tank. check here, craigslist and any local fish forums often if you're looking at buying lighting relatively cheap:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store