Starting back up....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Edge of the New Forest, Hampshire UK
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
Hi all,

I posted thus yesterday in the equipment section without a reply of note......

thought I'd try again here, hope that's ok?

Hi All,

Its been a while.....I hope my old friends are still on here and all well and to make some new ones.

We have now settled in our new home in the South of England and after paying my debt to the wife and completing the minimum amount of the home improvements, I somehow managed to leave a space void of all decoration and furniture.
Question, what is the best off the shelf / system available on the UK market today?

thanks in advance

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
What is exactly your question? The other thread tanker tanker told you to start with the biggest fishtank. What kind of fishtank are you planning on having? How big a space do you have? By off the shelf system do you mean: buy big box, take all the equipment out, set it up, fill with water, plug in, instant fishtank? I am not sure about the UK, but I don't believe such a system exists.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Excuse me, they sell biocubes up to 29 gal here in the US, they might sell them in the UK too. IMO, you are not getting a good deal with it if you plan on upgrading later on.

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
Hi,
Sorry the question really is what is the best on the market as a complete set up for a marine aquarium. including extra bits to get it right

I owned a 350 Trigon before and patience is the one thing I have always had, but this time I want to be right from the outset.
Space is around 5ft or more but its the set up I'm more interested in. having made a success of the Juwel corner tank without a sump I want this one to be the best starting point from the beginning.
350litres or more + sump in size.

More interested in peoples experience of various makes and their recommendations

As for the fill up, plug in instant fish tank, you don't get to keep a Moorish Idol without understanding their marine environment needs. I know what this hobby entails just wanted to miss the modern day pitfalls

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Sorry, but then the question is still unclear. You cannot get the best complete system if you are willing to allow extra bits to get it right. Then it wasn't all that complete, huh? That is why I was asking what you mean by "complete". The "instant fishtank" was not meant time wise, but equipment wise (as in the system is so complete that it doesn't require any extras to get it perfect).

With only 5 foot space your dream of a Moorish Idol is probably not going to happen. And no matter how experienced you are, the best possible care for a Moorish Idol is the ocean and not a home aquarium, IMHO.

So what exactly are you planning on having? A FOWLR or some kind of reef? If reef what kind of reef? Softies, LPS, SPS, or mixed? What kind of fish, or maybe seahorses instead? Last not least, what kind of budget are you willing to dedicate to the system itself and then to ongoing maintenance?

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
First tank.jpg first tank Mandy.jpg I kept a Moorish Idol for over 3 years in a mature marine tank that was a 350litre corner tank which was without a sump and a lot of hard work and dedication.
When I had to sell up I gave "Gill" to my friend who owned the shop I had brought a lot of supplies from as a show fish for his shops display aquarium. Your quite right, some people should not keep difficult fish.
I don't want to be seen as defensive on here but I asked for advice on the new tanks and their components that are available in an "off the shelf" deal and how good they were and suggestions from people that, after owning such tank set ups what people would add or not have bothered with in the first place. what was value for money or poorly built and a waste of money.
The cost is irrelevant and space for the right system could be found.
Is there a bespoke UK Manufacturer that would be money better spent??
I have many questions and probably should have explained myself better.
could we try again?

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I kept a Moorish Idol for over 3 years in a mature marine tank that was a 350litre corner tank which was without a sump and a lot of hard work and dedication.
When I had to sell up I gave "Gill" to my friend who owned the shop I had brought a lot of supplies from as a show fish for his shops display aquarium. Your quite right, some people should not keep difficult fish.
[..]
The cost is irrelevant and space for the right system could be found.
See, that is where I get a little bit confused. You can't say that money doesn't matter (because it does, even to you) and then turn around and brag how you been taken care of three difficult fish. I would say, and please don't be offended, that only one out of the three was a long term success - your dragonette that lived 5 years. The tang, while not super difficult to keep, is very often housed in too small a glass box (including your 350 liter tank if you ask me) due to popularity - blame Dory if you must. Hard telling from the picture, but I would say it is still a juvenile. Did you do the right thing and gave up the hippo before it gotten too big? Well, the Moorish Idol - you were playing with fire to attempt it in the first place. When you did your research, and I am sure you did, you should have stayed clear of it until you actually did have a bigger tank. I am happy for you that it worked out and Gill acclimated to a fish tank and ate for you just fine. I am also glad that he is in a more appropiate place at the LFS now (assumption on my part that the show tank is bigger than 350 liter).

With your experience you should have no problem custom building your dream system, and then see if anybody makes it as a complete set (I very highly doubt it). Custom building it yourself (even if all components themselves are non-modified) you will have a system that suits you. No need to bow down to a certain manufacturer and compromise.

1wizz

AC Members
Jul 1, 2005
Real Name
David
Camera Used
Mobile phone P30
Pointless judgemental spiel. This is not the place I remember it to be. I asked for advice and you can't help passing on your lack of knowledge and a personal attack.
Money is not an issue because people passing on their experience is free to ingest and what I decide to spend will be up to me.
Get off you high horse and try helping people with the limited experience you have.
This has been a disappointing start to what will be a rewarding return to the hobby.
FYI I'm thinking of a Red sea Reefer 450 with a Shoal of Moorish Idols I'll PM you some pics

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I would love some pictures. A shoal of MI would certainly be neat looking. I thought they are only hanging out in pairs, not a shoal, in the ocean - at least when older.

If you want a shoal have you considered the False Moorish Idol (schooling bannerfish, Heniochus diphreutes) as an alternative?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Pointless judgemental spiel. This is not the place I remember it to be. I asked for advice and you can't help passing on your lack of knowledge and a personal attack.
Money is not an issue because people passing on their experience is free to ingest and what I decide to spend will be up to me.
Get off you high horse and try helping people with the limited experience you have.
This has been a disappointing start to what will be a rewarding return to the hobby.
FYI I'm thinking of a Red sea Reefer 450 with a Shoal of Moorish Idols I'll PM you some pics
I have read this post, and I cannot see where "Duckie" is being judgemental. He is not "attacking you", he is just trying to find out what you are asking. Really, what does Keeping a Moorish Idol have to do with what Duckie is asking? IMO, (sorry) but you was not very clear on what you was asking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store