? sternotherus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wwg

AC Members
Jan 22, 2008
Parma,Italy
what do they feed on both in the wild and in captivity?i know they're mainly carnivourous but what would be a good diet?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
trumpets too small to be considered food?
They're not very picky on size. If they see it an it's edible, they'll eat it.

would the eggs need to be separated if i plan to hatch them?
Well, when I use to have a breeding pair they were outdoors and had a place to lay eggs so I let mother nature incubate them. That's not the case now for the pair I have. I will remove the eggs and incubate them when the time comes. But you have to be very careful when you do remove them. Like I said they're very fragile.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
what do they feed on both in the wild and in captivity?i know they're mainly carnivourous but what would be a good diet?
I'm a firm believer in a varied diet. You can feed your animal nothing but pellets but you have to remember that not all turtle species have the same diet and I don't believe feeding them just a turtle pellet covers all their needs.

I feed my Musk Turtles earthworms, crickets, snails, aquatic insect larva, frozen shrimp, fish fillets, canned tuna, freeze-dried shrimp, a few types of turtle pellets like Reptomin, cichlid pellets, shrimp pellets and boiled squash and peas. I also always have live Anacharis in the tank for them to nibble on if they want too.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
That sounds pretty much like what I feed mine, except that mine refuse to eat vegetables.

Wild Sternotherus odoratus are opportunists; they feed on crustaceans, molluscs, worms, insects, carrion, plants, and slow or injured fish, amphibians, etc. They're sort of like miniature versions of the common snapping turtle.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
That sounds pretty much like what I feed mine, except that mine refuse to eat vegetables.
Well to be honest, the veggies that I provide are really for the plecostomus that lives with them but on occasion, my male Stinkpot will nibble on the veggies.

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
He's adventurous, eh? I went through a period of trying to get all of my turtles eating more fruits, greens, and vegetables, but it was a complete bust. Even my boxes and painted refused them. I only offered them raw, maybe I should cook the vegetables for them.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
He's adventurous, eh? I went through a period of trying to get all of my turtles eating more fruits, greens, and vegetables, but it was a complete bust. Even my boxes and painted refused them. I only offered them raw, maybe I should cook the vegetables for them.
Oh man, my male stinkpot will eat until he pops I think. He's constantly begging for food. It's really hard to not feed him when he does this because he looks so cute and pathetic at the same time.

Here's a video of him begging right after I just fed him.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Si1pYzEcd3E

If you boil zucchini or squash for a few minutes it gets nice and soft and sinks.

So your box turtles don't eat their veggies, eh? Wow, mine are fat little pigs and love to eat berries like they're going out of fashion. Bright colors really draw them in. I feed mine various berries, tomatoes, yellow squash, grated carrots, steamed corn along with their meaty foods.

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Haha, my stinkpots do that too. It's pitiful. If you ever keep sunfish, they're even worse; they can be so full you can see the food in the back of their throats, and they still look for more.

I'll have to try berries. I've given the boxes various leafy greens, yellow and green squashes, tomatos, carrots, bits of apple and banana, and the fruity-smelling pellets sold as box turtle food; they consistently ignore all. They would starve if not for nightcrawlers, mealworms, and occasionally crickets.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Definitely get them to eat their fruits and veggies as it's suppose to make up 50% or more of their diet. I've never tried giving mine those "box turtle diets" that they sell in pet stores. I recommend giving yours some grated carrots and yellow squash too. It helps them get their daily Vitamin A intake so they don't get swollen or stuck shut eyes. I'm sure yours will love berries. You can sneak other foods in with the berries if you mash them all together. Mine love raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries.

aquapants

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
portland, me
ha ha. those pictures are awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store