Stocking 20 gallon tall: point out my mistakes!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hly478

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
south
My son got his second tank (as in, I take care of it, he watches and makes sure all the water gets in the bucket!) for Christmas. It will be in the living room.

We have well water, so it's naturally high pH. The "new" tank (a set up which I inherited from a friend; includes everything but the fish and plants!) is a 20 gallon tall. Before we start, I want to know a bit more on the fish he wants to put in there!

2 honey gouramis (which require lower pH, I believe)
2 black mollies
1 swordtail (male)
1 fancy guppy
3 smaller specie cories (suggestions!)

Other than the hifin swordtail, who's hanging out with the goldfish at the moment, we haven't bought any fish. We still have to run a cycle, but I've been preparing the extra filter on the 20 gallon long in his room. During THAT water change, I figured to add the "old" water to the new tank, speed the process up a bit.

Does that sound good, or should I move the goldies to the 20 gallon tall, set the trops up in the 20 gallon long? Any other fish suggestion is cool, and I'll get him to consider them.

And you might yell at me, but is a 20 gallon tall too small for a single angelfish? He shows interest in those as well; just curious, as I've seen conflicting opinions on angelfish in a 20 tall.

Thank you!

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
first of all, how often are you doing water changes on your other tank?

adding the old water wont really help the cycle at all. if the media in the "new" filter stayed wet, there is a good chance there will still be bacteria in there.

as for stocking, i would get three more female swordtails, skip the mollies and guppies, get one honey gourami, and then get 4 or 5 peppered corydoras

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
If you are trying to get the new tank cycled quickly, put the filter for the new tank on the goldie tank. It will start to build the bacterial colony on that tank and in a few weeks be ready to use on the new tank. As JM1212 said, the water doesn't contain anything worthwhile moving to the new tank. If the tank you got had a working cycled filter, it can be kept alive by running it on the goldfish tank until you decide to stock the new tank too.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Angelfish require 10 gallons per fish a 20H is fine for a pair. It's a better choice than a 20Long. They need height not length.

hly478

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
south
I've been cycling the additional filter on the goldie tank for about three weeks now (they seem to love the extra current!). I do 25% change every Saturday, higher change 'round the middle of the month.

If he decides on the angel instead of the gourami, (angel would probably stand the pH better, maybe?) would I have to persuade him to different community fish as well?

and the kid is stuck on mollies; it's been a favorite of his since he was 5, and he finally has opportunity to stock it. I've read they're nippy; if I stick to females, would this be too much of a problem?

& as mentioned, I'm just trying to figure this out before setting up! we like happy fish. :)

hly478

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
south
easy enough to nix, then. he dreams to one day own a 120 gallon tank. I'll tell him to wait until then.
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store