Stocking an uncycled tank with mudskippers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
You dont need cycled water for the skippers. Just keep the salt at 1.008. Healthy shippers dont spend much time in the water anyways

Completly disagree and should not be advised to anyone. There are reasons why we cycle an aquarium, hence why us, as aquarists, should be ensuring people cycle the tank before adding inhabitants, whether they spend time on the ground or not...they will still recieve damage from the water content when they spend time in there...

AliN

Neighbourhood zookeeper
Oct 6, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
The manager of the store gave me one of the pads out of the filter in the skippers tank to bring home. I set up the tank with sand, rocks, driftwood, filter and heater, added some frog food for ammonia and the filter pad and have been letting it run like that since Monday. I'll have to pay for the skippers this weekend but they'll keep them for me for up to a week afterwards. Should I have my water tested before bring them home?

AliN

Neighbourhood zookeeper
Oct 6, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Thank you so much for the help, everybody! I'm really excited about getting my 'skippers and I want to take good care of them, but I never could have done it with all your advice and information.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Good luck and get some pictures once you get them home and set up!

AliN

Neighbourhood zookeeper
Oct 6, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Definitely! I already like the way the tank's looking, though it needs a bit more "furniture" and a nice background.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
it would be best if you could pick up your own set of test kits as well, such as the API master test kit. (though i don't know if you'd need the fw one or the sw one - maybe someone else could answer that).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store