stocking biotype

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

quiksilver

quiksilver
Aug 2, 2006
Australia
this a list of fish that are common to an area i regurally dive.

- Chaetodon auriga (5 others similar) it looks like these get big.
- Chrysiptera flavipinnis (or just a blue damsel)
- Pomacentrus australis
- Labroides dimidiatus
- Stenopus hispidus
- Valenciennea strigata
- variouse wrasse

i will have a 4ft 70 gal FOWLR setup. im looking at haveing a low bioload, which fish would go together the best out of this list.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Where abouts are you in australia?

here is the list i think go good:

fish
Valenciennea strigata - yellow head sleaper goby
Labroides dimidiatus - cleaner wrasse

invert
Stenopus hispidus - coral banded shrimp

With these fish in your area, there will probably be angels, more butterfly fish (like margined coralfish/copperband), probably quite a lot of blennies (if you look hard enough).

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Imho cleaners need to be left on the reef! They clean 100's of fish on the reef every day and are needed far more in the ocean than in the home tank. The cbs are pretty cool critters but, limit yourself to one or to an already mated pair or you'll most likely have at least one dead shrimp. The bio type seems cool I'm 1000 miles in land so it would take a lot of work.
please keep us posted.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Ok cool, I live in Perth and we get the lewin current coming down from the tropics and loads of tropical fish come down aswell.

In Australia, we are not in the same type of crisis as the USA, fortunately there are strict laws governing how many fish are taken out the sea (commercial), cleaner wrasse are pretty plentiful over here, i dont see a problem taking on from the wild as long as you are capable of keeping it alive.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Ok, but for how long? The longest MOST people have success rates with Cleaner Wrasses in captivity is 6 months. Take that and compare to how long the fish lives in the wild (years to tens of years)...that is pretty bad! They clean a TON of fish in the wild and are SO much more useful there that is where they are best kept. Anyway good luck with your set up whatever you decide :)!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store