Stocking, Feeding, Supplementing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

salazaar

AC Members
Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
I have a 65 gallon tank that has been up and running for over a month now. I have 65lbs of LR which was added about 3 weeks ago and a 3" DSB. This past weekend I added my cleanup crew (once my nitrites had returned to 0).
I have for my clean up crew
20 Blue Leg Crabs
5 scarlet crabs
2 emerald crabs
1 arrow crab
5 Mexican Turbo Snails
15 Astrea Snails
10 Nassarius Snails
5 Bumble Bee
1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Serpent Star Fish
2 Lettuce Nudibranch

*?* Now I'm thinking about fish and what to feed them. I thought figuring out equipment and the initial setup was confusing but it pales in comparison to figuring this part out, so I need some help.

What I'm thinking
1 Yellow Tang
3 Banggai CardinalFish
2 Clown Fish
1 Neon Dottyback
1 Royal Gramma

What else should I add? Can I add them all at once, or is there a specific order?
What should I feed them, flakes, pellets, live, frozen . . . what brands? There seems to be unending choices and not a lot of advice or literature. Right now I'm feeding my critters with "Spectrum THERA+A by New Life" it was recommended by the store that sent me the critters. What else do I need when I add the fish.

*?* Supplements. Should I be adding any supplements such as Calcium to the tank

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Fish should be added from the least agressive to the most aggressive. This allows the shy fish to pick hiding spots and be comfortable before someone shows up to harrass them. So--I would add the gramma, then the cardinals, then the clowns, the dottyback, and then tang last. You may have problems with the tang, since they need lots of swimming room and can stress in smaller tanks. Make sure you have enough room around the live rock for the fish to swim laps.

For feeding--variety is key. I feed a mix of frozen prepared foods (emerald entree is good, as are mysis/brine shrimp, spirulina enriched algaes, and formula 1 type foods), chopped forzen fish (for predators--no need in your setup), fresh vegetables, macro algaes and seaweeds (this will be essential for the tang). I'd also strongly encourage you to provide an area of the tank to allow algae to grow freely. The tang will need to graze all day, and this patch will help.

For supplements--as long as you are doing regular water changes, you do not need to supplement anything. Water changes replenish the levels. In a reef setup, supplements can be needed, but seldom in a FO. In either setup, I do not recommend supplementing something you are not testing.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I try to mix up my feeding schedule between tetra flakes and frozen food cubes by Ocean Nutrition. My dottyback feeds mostly on 'pods, but appreciates the occasional frozen treat. He tends to ignore the flake, though. My damsel loves the flake and the frozen cubes. My gold stripe cardinal eats anything I put in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store