Stocking Ideas for a 5g shrimp tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cactusgal

AC Members
Dec 1, 2009
Alberta ,Canada
Well my 5g tank that has been used as baby fry tank(mollies) will be empty by next week as I have found homes for all of them.
So I'm thinking of turning the tank into a shrimp tank.So I am interested in getting ideas from everyone on what type of shrimp to get..I'm looking for clolorful and that they all get along,and not sure the quantity that this tank will hold?

This tank has a heater at 77
It is a corner eclipse with bio wheel and also a fluval u1 for extra fitering(when I had the fry in there)
Planted tank(combombia and moneywart?)
also an air stone

Ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 5

Soft water 25ppm
ph 7.8

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Feh, Red Cherries are yesterday's news*. Apparently the Hot New Thing in this year's line of shrimp are various colors of Tiger. This guy has an interesting blog on the topic (at http://www.blue-tiger-shrimp.com/blog/category/shrimp/tiger/blue_tiger_shrimp/ in case the link doesn't work which mine usually don't) with some useful tips on breeding for colors for the genetically inclined. Further discussion of the colors of tigers available straight from the wild can be found at AquaticCommunity.com

There was another page called "planetinverts.com" that I swear was working a couple of days ago but apparently the owner forgot to pay his server bill because it isn't working now. Guy claimed he had just got some wild stock imported from China that included orange tigers, which look stunningly like real tigers, in color anyway. V. cool, I hope s/he gets the page back up.

*(Snide remarks about Red Cherries are made entirely in jest. I am celebrating my 5 babies' 2-week anniversary of residence here and am absolutely crazy about them.)

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
You could try an orange dwarf crayfish, theyre very colorful and cool but you could only have one most likely. Cherry shrimps are very colorful, but you can find many many varieties of shrimp on aquabid.com that would be nice.

cactusgal

AC Members
Dec 1, 2009
Alberta ,Canada
You could try an orange dwarf crayfish, theyre very colorful and cool but you could only have one most likely. Cherry shrimps are very colorful, but you can find many many varieties of shrimp on aquabid.com that would be nice.

Wow i did look up shrimp on auqabid.com....there sure is alot to choose from ...but they have huge lots of them for sale....25-50..way too many for me.

Not so sure they would get here very safely as our courier truck isnt heated..and we are in the cold of winter right now..lol

Thanx for the info ..I will look at some pet stores and see what i can find!

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
Tigers and Crystals are not as hardy along the lines of the cherry reds and its color morphs. And I would recommend at least a 20 gallon if you want them to breed fairly well.

I don't think a CPO would enjoy a 5 gallon tank, I would say best is a 10+ gallon.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
You could do a two CPO's or two dwarf cajuns with a snail or two. Or a combo of one cray (dwarf species only) and some shrimp.

matt12

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Try and find some snowball or blue pearl shrimp. if you choose the cpo ONLY PUT 1 in the tank!!!! there aggresive toward each other

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Is this your first shrimp tank? Go with Cherries- or I happen to prefer the yellows- they are so bright- you can see them from across the room on the green plants! The cherries and yellow shrimp are two different color morphs of the same species- so dont mix them up- you'll end up with future generations in a muddy brown color. Just pick one. They are the most forgiving, they eat algae and they readily reproduce in the aquarium. This is all about having fun, right? so why go nuts trying to keep some of the more difficult and expensive types when the yellows and reds are so pretty, easy to find and easy to care for?

Start with 5-10 all of the same species, whichever you chose. Post here on the classifieds with a WTB add specifying your location- perhaps you can find someone else local who you could pick them up from so you don't have to worry about shipping

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i vote for green shrimp, they're tough lil buggers, lol. when i moved my tanks in an open truck at the end of september with the weather hovering around +10 celcius a few survived that i had missed netting out with all the water drained out of the tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store