Stocking plan 6.6g bookshelf aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Picked up a discounted 6.6g from Petco for my pink betta girl Button Louise. Will be setting it up in the next couple of days, "instantly" cycled with media from my existing tank, and about a zillion java fern plantlets. May add rooted/stem plants later. So ...

Option One
1 female betta
2-3 otos
1 bamboo shrimp

Yes, I'll let the algae grow before the otos go in and will supplement their diet. I'm not sure how to know if there are enough bio-organisms in the water to support a filter shrimp ... ???

Option Two
1 female betta
1-2 nerites
5-6 nano fish (micro/dwarf rasboras or boraras)

Not sure which nano fish, or if a school of anything would be too high a bioload. Also, how many nerites for algae/clean-up purposes?

Option Three
1 female betta and ... you tell me!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Yep, option 2. IMO, ottos nor bamboo shrimp are appropriate for that size tank.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Button Louise!! I'm happy she's getting a huge "real" tank! I like option 2, too! :p:

Msjinkzd has chili rasboras, and I <3 those bumblebee nerites!

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Okay, so nix on the bamboo shrimp and otos, thumbs up for nano fish. Thanks, gt1009, for the reminder that fish are fun in a long tank!

I like the chilis ... actually, I like all boraras. Good thing I don't have to make a decision immediately!

How many nerites could I have, just one? Are adult bumblbee and spikey olive nerites smaller than the zebra or plain olive or whatever? (Tried googling but there are a lot of nerites. Also, had a heavy dinner and am sleeeepy. Maybe not the best time to be researching fish, etc. :rolleyes:)

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
The bumblebee and spiky are smaller than the zebra nerites; same size difference as with a dime and nickel. I would suggest only two or three nerites for that size tank, provided you supplement their diet with other foodstuffs.

Is your betta "friendly" towards other living organisms? If you're not sure, I would test out her tolerance for other critters with feeder guppies before you put money down on boraras. The nerites could also be in danger of being harassed to death by the betta nipping at them.

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
this is just from my own experience but i've found it extremely difficult to get my nerites to eat anything i give them. they just turn their little noses up at anything but good old fashioned, tank grown algae. I believe it's typical behavior for nerites so I would usually go with 1 nerite for every 10g of water. Alternatively you could just stick the tank next to a window or leave the lights on for a little longer for multiple nerites.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I would say 2....... I almost picked up that same tank last weekend at my local petco....

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
I also like option 2 but ottos or a few bamboo shrimp would be fine in a bookshelf.

I have a bookshelf as a QT tank now but had 3 ottos and a hundred or so Neocaridina heteropoda running for a few years just fine.

You can always add more bio to your filter if you feel you are on the edge of stocking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store