Stocking, planting and dreaming new 55g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
View attachment 227808
I’m aiming for a tank like this
I can tell you that you will have issues with a 55 gal doing an island setup like that. The Depth of a 55 would give you problems doing an island setup. Since a 55 is about 13 inches deep (as in width) . It doesn't give you much room to work with. I am not saying it's impossible, just gonna give you fits setting it up and doing your vision. Honestly, never been a huge fan of the 55 due to this reason, i enjoy 75s a bit more. But good luck with it and keep us posted.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I've seen island tanks done in smaller tanks, But I agree that it is difficult

you have to leave enough space to be able to clean the glass on the inside. And choose plants and such appropriately.

aestehitcally, I'm more a fan of something as tall as it is deep.. so more like a 33L rather than a 55.

Ultimately it's your tank.. just go for it, see what haoppens, and enjoy.. just leave room to clean the glass too.!

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
I've seen island tanks done in smaller tanks, But I agree that it is difficult

aestehitcally, I'm more a fan of something as tall as it is deep.. so more like a 33L rather than a 55.
If i had the space, a 40 Gallon Breeder would be a fun tank to do like this.. plenty of space and reaching room. :)

ParisWill

AC Members
Oct 11, 2020
Well I’m downgrading to a 180L most likely. So will adjust the stocking a bit, I have also reduced the size a bit since I’ll build a higher fake base in the middle right using rocks etc

I’ll also work up to this stocking over time. I already own the honeys, 8 neons, 2 Khuli and the bristlenose. So those will go in over time as the tank cycles up.
193125CF-FC3B-4A0B-876E-53E4DC7C08CE.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You can kind of do a "skinny" island with wood & rocks. Make sure you have several separate caves for the apistos, bn, & kuhlis plus a couple spares so they can choose. I'm too much of a klutz for very branchy wood to get tangled up in when I reach in the tank, lol. Maybe a high end tapering to a low more open area at the other end.

You definitely need more kuhlis, 5 is an extreme minimum, maybe 6 or 8? Try very hard to get more of the kind you have. It's hard for us to tell them apart but they'll know...

I'd get all the neons & wait on the rummys until you see how that looks for a while. They both are low-mid swimmers & will tend to mill around all mixed together...maybe not separate schools as you're probably envisioning. They need a bigger fish to make them school up, I don't think honeys will do it...but maybe...you can always add them later :)

Otos should be last in, they can be delicate, I think I said that...& how to choose them. But I do like otos...

Reactions: ParisWill

ParisWill

AC Members
Oct 11, 2020
good points. I’m actually thinking about changing the rummy nose for forktail rainbow fish. Something a little more different in its swimming pattern, colours etc.

I think I’ll for sure go more towards a triangle shape based on the feedback.

aiming for 4 caves at least. Maybe 5 with one tucked around the back a little.

I’ll add one more khuli, it’s just I don’t want to over stock, that being said according to aquavisor (with shallow then reality dimensions) I do have a bit spare so I’ll push to 6 or 7.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store