stocking question......

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

homerHart

AC Members
Apr 6, 2005
I currently have a small tank with the following:

Rummy Noses, Neons, Odessa Barbs, Pentazona Barbs, Harlequins and an Otto.

I am upgrading to a 190 litre (42gallons (UK) I think?) tank and want to stock it with the above fish and would also like to get some of the following:

Silver Shark (should there be one of these on their own in a tank? or more than one - I've read that there should be one in a tank of this size as they are very territorial with their own species or similar looking fish)
Tiger Barbs (Standard & Green)
Clown Loaches
Black Ruby Barbs
Denisonii Barbs
Red Finned Sharks

Any advice would be gratefully recieved. Ideally I want all my current fish to move into the new tank and then gradually add some of the above fish and then get rid of the small tank - the other half tolerates one tank - but not two!

I know that Tiger Barbs and the Sharks are known to be aggressive, but I have also read that when there is a shoal of the Tiger Barbs they tend to just squabble amongst themselves and leave others like the Rummy Noses and the Neons alone - is this true or will the smaller fish get chased all day long or get eaten by the sharks??????

Any advice would be good but I'd rather actual first hand experience rather than speculation and opinion as I have already read loads of opinion.

Many thanks, Martin. :help:

friendsnotfood

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
Silver sharks need a bigger tank. Also, you said Red Fin SharkS but you can only get one red finned shark. Otherwise sounds good. Good Luck!
:)
FNF

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Well, how many of the fish do you already have?

homerHart

AC Members
Apr 6, 2005
Hi peeps, thanks for the quick replies.

The new tank is a Juwel Trigon 190 with an external Aqua One CF1200 filter.

I currently have (as a result of loses etc.)

3 Rummy Noses
6 Neons
3 Odessa Barbs
2 pentazona Barbs
3 harlequins
1 Otto

As for the Shark advice - you really think that the tank is too small for a Silver Shark and that I should only have one Red Finned Shark - I don't mean a Red Tailed Shark

homerHart

AC Members
Apr 6, 2005
All fairly small
the neons and the harlequins are an inch at most , the Rummy Noses and the Pentazona Barbs an inch and half, the Oddessas 2 inches at most.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Even though slow growing, the clowns will easily hit 10-12" and prefer to be in groups 5-6 or more, so I would say no to them.

I am not familiar with the shark you mention.

If you get the tiger barbs, keep them in a larger group of 10-12, to distribute their self aggression. These will also force you to stay away from long finned additions.

You could also handle a group of 5-6 cory.

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
If by Silver shark you mean Bala Shark (Balantiocheilus melanopterus) then they would get too big for you tank, they get huge.
I would add another 2 Oto's (they like to school). If your prepared for the possiblity of it becoming aggressive (and possibly returning it) then ONE Red Finned Shark would be okay. Some can be very aggressive whilst others can be fairly placid, it all depends on the fish.

homerHart

AC Members
Apr 6, 2005
We are talking Red Finned Sharks aren't we - I thought the Red Finned ones weren't too bad and that you could have more than one as opposed to the Red Tailed Shark which I knew was quite aggressive.

As for the Silver Sharks and the Clown Loaches - I have been steered away from them by your advice and everything else that I have read.

What about the Denisonii Barbs - any advice - love these and wanted to get a few if the tank could handle it.

Also the Tiger Barbs - I was going to get maybe 3 or 4 of the following:
Black Ruby Barbs
Tiger Barbs
Green Tiger Barbs
to make a total of 10 - 12, would that be okay or do they not mix??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store