Stocking Recommendation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Honestly, I think diamond tetras would compliment your tank perfectly. If you want something red in there, add some swordtails. They're really hard to beat for that color "pop"

Reactions: Neptunius

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I've only seen tanker's diamond tetras years ago & maybe in shops only a couple times over the years. She said they were peaceful in her big tank (6ft?). They were very pretty but maybe kinda large? Big fish (3+ inches) vs smaller fish (2 inch or so), that could be trouble...just in general.

I haven't seen them for sale for a very long while but I don't often look. Are they still readily available? Seasonal like some fish?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
As far as I know they're readily available at most fish stores. I know they can order them at request. I'm not sure if Petsmart or Petco carry them, as I usually don't buy fish there. They can be found online pretty easy, though. (Highly recommend Aqua Huna.)
As far as size, mine have maxed out at around 2"-2 1/2". I keep them with bleeding hearts which are closer to that 2 1/2"-3" range.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Good to know Slappy. I don't shop at the big box store often. Some of the lfs by me tend toward 2 inch max fish & plant tanks. It may be that many people near me live in smaller apts...

Reactions: Slappy*McFish

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Problem with swordtails is that it can be difficult to get the dark red ones; last time i ordered red swag or whatever they are called they sent pineappled (orange with yellow/green splotches); oh well. At least my green swordtails are green swordtails. Hum.... one thing about mixing swordtails and tetra is technically tetra are a softwater fish and swordtails are a hardwater fish; though people tend to cheat in both direction.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I've got a 40-gallon long, moderately planted tank. Currently, I have a school of seven black phantoms (one of my favorites) and a school of six black neons. I have two Bolivian Rams that I've had for about seven years and that seem to be doing reasonably well and a bristlenose pleco. I'd like to add a school of something with a bit more color, and I want to keep it within the general biome. Any recommendations?
Hengeli Rasbora

Reactions: Slappy*McFish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store