Stocking suggestions anyone...29 gal "river tank"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

railNtrailcowgr

AC Members
Sep 13, 2007
NW Ohio
Ok, well after my own stupidity (not quarintining some new fish) I am again looking for stocking suggestions for my 29 gallon "river tank." Current inhabitants are 4 glolite tetras, 1 neon, 1 gold mystery snail and lots o' baby snails.

I know that I would like to get more glolites, neons, and possibly some black or gold tetras. I would like some suggestions for 1-3 "center piece" fish for this tank. I would prefer a smaller variety (as would my neons :silly:) that is fairly peaceful and active in a high flowing tank.

I also would like to stay away from dwarf rainbows if at all possible because my heart is still mending after loosing my 3 beauties when introducing a fourth to the tank, not to mention my wallet after spending $25-30 bucks on 4 tiny fish!

Any suggestions?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
you would be better off with one big school of tetras rather than two small schools in a 29 gallon tank. go for a school of 10 glolites or 12 neons.
You can have two schools of tetras. 10-12 neons, 10-12 glow lights and a gouramis (your center fish).

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
You can have two schools of tetras. 10-12 neons, 10-12 glow lights and a gouramis (your center fish).
This type of stocking seems good for what you already have in the tank...though I would be a little hesitant to add any gourami to a tank that is going to have a lot of flow. What type/size of power head do you plan on adding?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
IMO, I'd ditch the tetras and get danios and small rasboras such as the Rasbora boraptensis unless you can consider limiting the flows in certain areas. Consider Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki, Garra flavatra, Garra taeniata or various species of hillstream loaches as your bottom dwellers. This is assuming the river setup you are looking forward to is the one with powerful flows. Many of the fish mentioned above though prefer cooler waters.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I agree with lupin in regards to stocking a tank with a large amount of current...

railNtrailcowgr

AC Members
Sep 13, 2007
NW Ohio
Right now it has lots of flow from my AC 70 (came with the tank) and I just added a very small AC 10 to push some dead spots around my driftwood. So it isn't an extreamly high flow tank but enough that I don't think a gourami would be happy which is why I call it a "river tank."

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Right now it has lots of flow from my AC 70 (came with the tank) and I just added a very small AC 10 to push some dead spots around my driftwood. So it isn't an extreamly high flow tank but enough that I don't think a gourami would be happy which is why I call it a "river tank."
There won't be many centerpiece fish that tolerate the flow. What fish have you considered so far?

railNtrailcowgr

AC Members
Sep 13, 2007
NW Ohio
IMO, I'd ditch the tetras and get danios and small rasboras such as the Rasbora boraptensis unless you can consider limiting the flows in certain areas. Consider Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki, Garra flavatra, Garra taeniata or various species of hillstream loaches as your bottom dwellers. This is assuming the river setup you are looking forward to is the one with powerful flows. Many of the fish mentioned above though prefer cooler waters.
I would LOVE to have a true river set up like you mentioned :drool:, however, my LFS rarely has any type of raspbora and loaches are none existant. :headshake2: Someday when I have more money (what's that), lol yeah SOME day...

railNtrailcowgr

AC Members
Sep 13, 2007
NW Ohio
I really like gouramis and that is sort of what I would like as a center piece fish. Perhaps a dwarf honey, pearl, or platinum.

I have a Whisper 20-40 on my 10 gallon QT currently. If I were to re-stock my neons and/or glolites first and then QT the gourami and when I add him switch filters and rearrange my decore so I could ditch the power head would the gourami be happy?

Then I could just store the AC 70 and my 10 gallon unless I needed it in an emergency and I could grab another more appropriate filter for my QT when I get the chance.

So other than the dwarf (which I think would tolerate the tetras just fine) would either the pearl or platinum gourami fair better than the other with my current/future stocking plans? I really like the prestine white mixed with the blues and oranges of my tetras.

Thanks for so much help!

I forgot to add I do have an amono shrimp in the tank as well.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store