stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Also, I think my heater may be messed up. The water evaporated in my tank a lot, and the water level went down an inch before I put more water in. It was an inch below the minimum water line. It's been working fine, but I wanted to turn up the heat a little more for the cycle, so I set it at 86 degrees.....but it's stayed at 82, which was where the temperature previously was. I turned up the heat 18 hours ago (around) so it should have warmed up! Do I need to buy a new heater? (My heater is 100 watts...is that powerful enough? The room temperature usually is from 68-66 degrees however...)
Like the two awesome posters said above....you gotta keep that temp stable. My room temp is 65*, and my tanks stay at 78* sans the salt tank, which is higher for obvious reasons. 100w is plenty for a 20g, but it has to be submerged below the water line on the heater to work. I've had one explode in my old SA themed tank, and it was a god awful nightmare cleaning it up. I think I have a post on it here somewhere...hmm. Always unplug it when you are doing a water change. Make sure it's not on "always on" or however on your power strip. If it is not plugged in, it will not heat up. Another good trick is to check the water in the tank versus the water you are adding to thank with clean hands. 20g is a small tank, and water temperature can swing quite rapidly with water changes. A bit of a ramble, it's been a long day.

cheers.

Tetar

AC Members
Feb 13, 2016
I'm aware the tank has no fish in it yet :). The thing is, bacteria are sensitive to shifts in temperature. If you cycle at 86 you'll get bacteria that like 86 degrees and then you'll kill them off and have another cycle when you lower the temperature. Granted you won't kill them all off, but you won't have a full load of BB when you start to add fish and will get ammonia spikes and mini cycles. You're much better off cycling the tank at the temperature you want for the fish you're going to get. Regardless of temperature cycling will take as long as it does. For some people its a 4-6 weeks, less sometimes if you get a seeded filter. For others its 3 to 4 months and I have some friends who were trying to cycle a tank for 8 months and just gave up and did a fish in cycle.

How much will lowering the temperature affect my cycle? I was just about ready to get fish, because the readings were near perfect (ammonia:0 nitrites:0.25) I was expecting it would be done today, but after I turned down the temperature, the nitrites when to zero, and the ammonia spiked back up. I've been adding 4 ppm of ammonia everyday and after 12 hours checking it. The ammonia is usually at 0, but today the ammonia is at 1 ppm. And the nitrites were at zero 5 HOURS after adding the ammonia! Shouldn't it be the other way around? I always thought that the ammonia would become 0 before the nitrites. Will I have to do my cycle all over again because I was doing it wrong the first time?

Last edited:

Tetar

AC Members
Feb 13, 2016
Like the two awesome posters said above....you gotta keep that temp stable. My room temp is 65*, and my tanks stay at 78* sans the salt tank, which is higher for obvious reasons. 100w is plenty for a 20g, but it has to be submerged below the water line on the heater to work. I've had one explode in my old SA themed tank, and it was a god awful nightmare cleaning it up. I think I have a post on it here somewhere...hmm. Always unplug it when you are doing a water change. Make sure it's not on "always on" or however on your power strip. If it is not plugged in, it will not heat up. Another good trick is to check the water in the tank versus the water you are adding to thank with clean hands. 20g is a small tank, and water temperature can swing quite rapidly with water changes. A bit of a ramble, it's been a long day.

cheers.
Thanks for your help! I'll try to match the new water with the tank water temperature wise as close as I can.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
How much will lowering the temperature affect my cycle? I was just about ready to get fish, because the readings were near perfect (ammonia:0 nitrites:0.25) I was expecting it would be done today, but after I turned down the temperature, the nitrites when to zero, and the ammonia spiked back up. I've been adding 4 ppm of ammonia everyday and after 12 hours checking it. The ammonia is usually at 0, but today the ammonia is at 1 ppm. And the nitrites were at zero 5 HOURS after adding the ammonia! Shouldn't it be the other way around? I always thought that the ammonia would become 0 before the nitrites. Will I have to do my cycle all over again because I was doing it wrong the first time?
That's what would have happened if you had lowered the temp and added fish, because you grew bacteria that liked the higher temp. Its a good thing you're dealing with it now before there are fishes in there. Its hard to say how quickly it will get back to where it was. It depends on how much bacteria died off when you lowered the temp. Since you're seeing more ammonia and zero nitrites, I would say your bacteria that converts nitrites to nitrates survived, but your bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites was reduced. Its hard to say if you will have to start over, you'll just have to keep testing and going with the routine til you get to where you need to be. Sorry that you're having to deal with this, I know its frustrating.

Tetar

AC Members
Feb 13, 2016
That's what would have happened if you had lowered the temp and added fish, because you grew bacteria that liked the higher temp. Its a good thing you're dealing with it now before there are fishes in there. Its hard to say how quickly it will get back to where it was. It depends on how much bacteria died off when you lowered the temp. Since you're seeing more ammonia and zero nitrites, I would say your bacteria that converts nitrites to nitrates survived, but your bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites was reduced. Its hard to say if you will have to start over, you'll just have to keep testing and going with the routine til you get to where you need to be. Sorry that you're having to deal with this, I know its frustrating.
Well, I'm happier that my ammonia bacteria was reduced, and not the nitrite bacteria! The ammonia bacteria seemed to grow quicker in the first cycle than the nitrites! Thanks, so much for warming me before I got my fish!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Ok, then yup, if its down to zero now then you have some of the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate. Those are (if I'm remembering correctly) the ones that tend to take longer to develop. So hopefully it won't take too long for you to have a cycled tank.

Tetar

AC Members
Feb 13, 2016
Ok, then yup, if its down to zero now then you have some of the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate. Those are (if I'm remembering correctly) the ones that tend to take longer to develop. So hopefully it won't take too long for you to have a cycled tank.
Okay, that's good!

I was thinking about changing my stocking plan a bit. I went to the pet store, and I don't like the corys. They just don't stand out to me at all...however the platies and glofish tetras do! Could I start my stocking plan with this instead?
- 4 platys
- 5 glofish tetras

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
What about dwarf corys and the platys? The platys are livebearers, so prepare for young. Habrosus or pygmy corys, though? You could do more, and they are 500x as active as normal cory cats. A lot of people hate Petco, I know, but I love my local chain store as of their recent aquatic revival. The one by my place is crazy clean and has an awesome stock; I'm taking panda garra, syno cats, discus, gudgeons, stiphodons, crazy stuff! They currently have $1 habrosus and pygmy corys at mine, which is a ridiculous price. I bought a wrestling halfbeak for $2.50 on impulse, lol (super cool fish, but they require some special accommodations due to the beaks). I love my LFS, but man those prices for those fish....anyways, get your heart 100% set on a stock list so that you don't have to rehome :)

cheers,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store