Stop ripping up my plants!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Also... one of the main plants in my tank that i have found they dont want to eat and annoy, is my java fern. They pretty much leave that alone in whichever tank it is in.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Java fern? That's because they're toxic and taste horrible. The Japanese Rush was also a terrestrial plant, btw.

I think that if you want to plant this tank, you're going to need to use things like large amazon swords, weighted down, together with Java Fern (because nothing eats that)

On the plus side, your fish probably love you. Not everyone supplies their charges with a self-service salad bar.

Hobsyllwin

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Netherlands
On the plus side, your fish probably love you. Not everyone supplies their charges with a self-service salad bar.
LOL! Well I am all about keeping them happy! Though I am not sure if it's worth spending 12 euros at the LFS every week for new plants!

CaitxSith

A little too obsessed with neons.
Sep 30, 2006
The pond with some Triops
Make a trap. Put a cheap plant in and carefully watch it. Once a fish goes by to rip it, you can tell who does it. I remember somewhere they had DIY fish traps. Just put the cheap plant in the trap.

Hobsyllwin

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Netherlands
I think my fish are too cunning for me... (does that say something about my intellegence? Let's hope not). Because I sit in front of my tank literally all day. I am constantly watching my fish, and working on my laptop. I am vigilant, and they just KNOW when I am not looking...because the next thing I know a plant is clogging the filter because someone tore it apart.

I have three plecos: Spawn just sits under his rock all day (he really doesn't move, he's rather attached to that rock), Leviathan and Proteus don't seem to go near the plants much, preferring the driftwood. Though Proteus is suctioned to the glass at the moment...How cool:perv:
And 6 clown loaches: 4 are relatively small, 2 are tiny. I'm betting it's them. But they're so hyperactive that I really can't tell, they are constantly moving around the tank. But I have never seen them rip at any of my plants. But I wouldn't put it past them to do such a thing.

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Im looking to buy my next supply of plants on ebay, they have huge lots for the price i would have to pay for 4 bunches at the lfs. If that helps any

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Java fern? That's because they're toxic and taste horrible. The Japanese Rush was also a terrestrial plant, btw.

I think that if you want to plant this tank, you're going to need to use things like large amazon swords, weighted down, together with Java Fern (because nothing eats that)

That explains why some people claimed scats die from consuming Java ferns. Thanks for the input, Karl.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Yes; apparently scats are the one fish stupid enough to eat it despite the taste. Sort of fishy equivalent of Miller Lite drinkers.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Yes; apparently scats are the one fish stupid enough to eat it despite the taste. Sort of fishy equivalent of Miller Lite drinkers.
:rofl::laugh::hitting:

sponga

AC Members
Dec 4, 2006
Even though I've had no experience with any of the fish listed, generally, when keeping big fish(ID shark, plecos, clowns, ropefish), its never a good idea to keep plants, unless you're an expert at it. The current from their tails when the big fish are startled is alone enough to uproot some plants.

Most big fish LIKE to uproot plants for no reason at all. If I were you and wanted a planted tank, I'd go for heavy fake plants because there is no way that you could set up plants in that tank

If you had let the plants grow out to being huge before you put the fish in the tank, that might have worked. But other than that, I have no idea what you can do.
Build a wall of fake plants around the your real plants or at least the ones that can be uprooted. Water circulation can be a problem if you want the fake plants to remain there, but maybe even bamboo wall to hold plants.

My pleco constantly does it with my plants and after just spending on some nice plants to find the next morning each stem had been picked off floating at the top.

My pleco goes crazy for the sliced cucumbers now, I just add a weight and squeeze it in the water to get all the air out so it will sink.

Other small fish constantly peck holes in the plants leaves though which pisses me off. Massive reorganization coming for me and hopefully less maintanence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store