Strange fungus.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andy5268

AC Members
Jun 6, 2001
Basking Ridge, NJ
Strange fungus UPDATED!

Hi people,

I end up with large white spots on my SA Cichs sometimes. I don't think it's ich, the spots are the size of a BB gun pellet, they stay formed for a day or so and then break open and slowly go away. There is no fin clamping or other signs like ich.

Tank is maintained well with a 30% water change weekly and gravel vacuming every 2 weeks. i have two Fluval 404 filters turning over 700 gallons per hour in a 110 gallon tank. Water params are OK.

UPDATE: 12/26/04 fungus is still around. i treated it with "melaflix" for around one week and it's still around. Other fish are now catching it but effected fish are still OK. Again the "funus" looks like very lare ich blisters or white dots but they are much much larger andeach fish will only get a few of them, no other ich sins are present.

Really would appreciate any help

Last edited:

andy5268

AC Members
Jun 6, 2001
Basking Ridge, NJ
Anyone have any info on how to treat this or prevent it? i tried to respond to the link "luvmycribs" gave me but no dice.

the large sores do pop in a day or so and thus far they do heal but one of my fish has a lot of these suckers now.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Yeah my yellow lab has this, thus why i recognized the symptoms. So far i have been unable to find any information on treatment. Some people will treat with an anti-bacterial medication in order to prevent infection on the open wound, but so far there is no known treatment for the illness itself.

My lab has had this for quite some time, and has the scars to prove it, but so far has been happy and healthy this whole time. I have not treated with anything, and no other fish has contracted it.

Maybe someone here has experience with this? No one at cichlid-forum seems to know.

:p
-Diana

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
It could be a parasitic infection, the blisters could actually be egg pouches for something and when they pop it releases the young. The other fish may not be affected by it because they haven't gotten as stressed at one point or another as the one that is effected. I'd treat the tank with Metronidazole. Its hard to overdose with it, its a mild antibacterial agent but works wonders with killing off parasites. The stuff works and its easy on the fish, Discus keepers pretty much always keep it on hand because of its effectiveness.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
How many of your fish have this? Are they genetically related to each other? I've always figured it to be some sort of genetic disorder since these most closely resemble pimples. A sort of 'fish acne' if you will :p

My female lab has this, her brother does not, neither so far do her offspring. Apparently they can be fatal if they occur on or close to an organ such as the gills, or the fish may die of stress from the condition. Heck, the condition itself may be caused by stress! Hehe

who knows, treat if you want, i never have and she's doing fine, and actually she hasn't had an 'eruption' for several weeks now. Just scars left.

andy5268

AC Members
Jun 6, 2001
Basking Ridge, NJ
only one has it. doesn't seem to be catching. he has more spots now but is still behaving normally, eating etc. no problems. i may treat with "melaflix" or whatever it's called soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store