Strange LFS advice on pearl gouramis?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
you shouldnt have any problems keeping angels with pearl, honey, or dwarf gouramis. bettas are another story.

its usually only gold gouramis (and the like), paradise gouramis, and kissing gouramis that are aggressive toward other fish. pearl gouramis shouldnt be aggressive, but there is always the odd fish out.
I agree that it's the opalines, paradise and kissing gouramis that are aggressive sometimes toward other fish.

Abi, why not keep an angel with a gourami? :confused:

Finsnfur, you have an opaline gourami there in that pic, not a pearl gourami. If this is the gourami you're calling a pearl, then the former owner was right in calling it an aggressive fish. Opalines get just as big as pearls do though, about 5 inches long.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Finsnfur, you have an opaline gourami there in that pic, not a pearl gourami. If this is the gourami you're calling a pearl, then the former owner was right in calling it an aggressive fish. Opalines get just as big as pearls do though, about 5 inches long.
OH NO! :eek:

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Yep. That's an opaline, a color variant of trichogaster trichopterus, the same species as blue and gold gouramis. They're known for being more aggressive, though, again, it can vary by the individual fish. I'd keep an eye on him for a few days.

And that's pretty bad when the LFS can't identify its own stock. :lipssealedsmilie:

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
You can probably return the gourami if it ends up being too aggressive towards your other fish and just tell the manager you were told it was a different species. It's ultimately their responsibility to correctly identify the fish they sell.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
did you buy the one that was in the bag, or a different one out the the tank?

powerkit

Spiral OUT
Oct 23, 2008
Memphis
www.myspace.com
Thank you, to someone else who identified that as opaline. I have a pearl and I was deffinately sure this pic was not a pearl, but I thought it was a blue. Total shame on lfs for not knowing that though, thats pretty rough. I have had my little pearl in two different scenerios, both in which she has always been nothing but sweet. She was in a genus tank with one specimen of several sorts of gouramis and currently in a150 attempt at planted with 2 kissers, a paradise, 2 rams and I have no idea how many live bearers! She doesnt intrude on any one, how ever she does command respect, other fish will move out of her way in a hurry(with the exception of feeding time), but she hasnt chased any maliciously. I two have heard horror stories of blue gouramis bein evil. A friend had one growing up and it ended up being the only fish in the tank!
Finsnfur, your gourami will probly not display to much aggression until he/she is a quite a bit bigger. your tetras should be pretty safe for now, just keep an eye out as the gourami grows, who knows, it maybe fine or it may not.
I would so deffinately run to my lfs and politely tell them they were incorrect and try not to smirk or laugh until you exit,lol!!!!

marinkafuschia

AC Members
Oct 21, 2008
Olympia, WA
I had two male neon dwarfs in one tank and they did fine! it was weird all the people at the LFS said they had pairs too and they did great. iI decided to risk it and move one if a problem broke out. They liked each other and once they got home each made a bubble nest. Their just like betas in the way that they have their own temperaments. Defiantly my fav besides the betas!

abi88

Unknown species
Sep 8, 2008
---ish,Wa
www.myspace.com
I have seen Gouramis tear Angels to PIECES...in a mater of just a few days...but as some have stated I believe that there are some of each fish that don't go with their species known faults.:) I just really dont have too many great things to say about Gouramis!:)

Sorry if that offends anyone...but I hey-I cant say as I really care!LOL

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Yep. That's an opaline, a color variant of trichogaster trichopterus, the same species as blue and gold gouramis. They're known for being more aggressive, though, again, it can vary by the individual fish. I'd keep an eye on him for a few days.

And that's pretty bad when the LFS can't identify its own stock. :lipssealedsmilie:
I agree! At least they should know what they ordered. All they have to do is look at a book.....

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
heh, i don't think we can all sit here and blame the LFS.

let's use an example:if i had been "researching" german blue rams, i certainly would know enough about what they LOOK LIKE to not walk out of the store with a young jack dempsey and then be surprised about it when someone else on the internet ID'ed it for me. based on what i'm reading, it may be entirely possible that this was a tank full of opaline gouramis, NOT pearls, and the employee was completely correct in saying that they were aggressive fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store