striped raphael behavior change

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
I have a stiped raphael that I got full grown about 1 year ago. he's always been completely invisible to me. For a long time I thought he was starving to death because he NEVER came out. I've foudn tha if I come out at nigh, after the whole hosue has been pitch black for a while, with a flash light, I'll find him swimming around. He's clearly getting food somehow (although I fear it may include my khulis :-() There are multiple PVC caves buried within the 'terrecing' that him, the khuli's and clown all hide in. Honestly, I never see ANy of them, but that's another thread.

So last night I was doing a trim and water change, and all of a sudden he came out and was swimming around. I was like WTH? well he stayed out, swimming around, resting, looking generally restless, for about an hour!! he finally moved into a NEW cave, and I thought all was well. odd but well. The whole time I was putting food in front of him thinking maybe he was REALLY hungry and willing to venture out in daylight becuase of it. He never ate a singel thing.

This morning, I come out after the lights have bene on for 1.5 hours, and he's out again! jsut sitting in the middle of the floor, full light, all the other fish swimming around him, bumping into him, etc. I feed, everyone ate but him. After about 1/2 hour he went into his old cave again.

so this seems REALLY odd to me. I have no idea how old this fish is. What could cause this sudden MAJOR change in his bahavior?

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
I've had my raphael about a month, and I find that he's pretty active actually. Definitely when food hits the water he starts swimming around, but even at other times during the day he'll come out w/o any food present.

I don't think he's ailing in any way, and is well-fed enough to be noticably fat. My tank is a 75g with a *huge* piece of driftwood, so my best guess is that the dw blocks enough of the surface light to make him feel comfortable. Not sure though :huh:

Maybe in your case some mating instinct has kicked in and he (or she) is looking for someone to spawn with...

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I'm totally excited to actually SEE him for a change, but it seems odd. I've been home all day today and he's been out and about a good half of the day. I cleaned up his caves, inspected them for anything...unpleasant. All should be fine.

I did adopt a few new bronze cories the other day. They're so incredibly active! unlike any cory I've ever had. Maybe there's a connection? He's never done this when I've added other fish before though.

aquacutlure

THE FURRY BEAST
Jun 13, 2009
REDDING, CA
perhaps it went blind or just is picky about food, try some iced people grade shrimp, my spotted rapheal loves the shrimp pieces.

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I had some a few years back and once they hit the 5"+ mark they occasionally did what you said. They eventually were so fat that anytime food hit the water (no matter what time of day) they came out to eat it before any other fish could get it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store