Strips or test tube to test water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Strip Test or Test Tube?

• Strip/Dip Test

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Test Tubes

Votes: 46 88.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

fish_breeder_05

American Idiot
Aug 23, 2005
Hastings, NE
I am still on strips, but since they are $10 a bottle and only last a few weeks I am saving up to buy a test tube kit as it could do about a thosand tests and you only have to buy a refill pack instead of the whole kit over again when the day comes that you need more

Genral72

Giver of worthless imformation.
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
tests tubes are more accurate

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Not that it really needs to be said again, I suppose, but yes, test tubes are better. More precise.

Gena575

AC Members
Feb 7, 2006
Persimmon said:
The test tube, I have the AP test kit as well and petsmart had them for $13.49 last week. It doesn't matter what the shipping is because by the time you spend all the money on all the different test kit stick types and know that each of those only give you 10-25 tests each...you are much better off making the plunge and buying the better kit in the first place.
My semi-local Petsmart carries the AP master kits for $27.99. I printed off the page from Petsmart.com and took it in and they matched the $13.49 price, no questions. I'm not sure if this is the forum I read that tip on or not, but thought it was worth passing along.

Gena

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Your local petsmart was out-charging the petsmart website by that much?? Ouch.

Gena575

AC Members
Feb 7, 2006
Leopardess said:
Your local petsmart was out-charging the petsmart website by that much?? Ouch.
I know! Crazy! But in the end it worked for them. I ended up buying a few plants that I wouldn't have if they hadn't matched the website price on the test kit. I gotta quit with the plants though...my poor fishies are living in a jungle...oops I'm rambling :rolleyes:

carpediem

Registered Loser
I use the AP test tube kits. My only gripe is the test tubes themselves. They couldn't possibly design a container that is more difficult to put water in or pour water out of in an accurate fashion. Also, the #$%& things have such a small bottom, all you have to do is look at them wrong and they fall over. Given that my fingers are always wet and I'm always dealing with at least 6 to 8 test tubes at a time, I'm bound to knock one over if not drop one on the floor where it, of course, shatters.

The old test kits had plastic tubes with nice little stands so they weren't so easy to knock over and break. Some marketing genius must have realized that people would have to buy another test kit if they broke all the tubes. Myself, I'm looking for an alternative at a scientific supply store.

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
Masters test water kit all the way!!! I used a 5-in-1 quick dip test kit for a while VERY inaccurate!! I could never get a proper reading on nitrites and it didnt even have an ammonia reference.

mishi8

Go fly a kite!
Jan 13, 2005
Alberta
carpediem said:
I use the AP test tube kits. My only gripe is the test tubes themselves. They couldn't possibly design a container that is more difficult to put water in or pour water out of in an accurate fashion. Also, the #$%& things have such a small bottom, all you have to do is look at them wrong and they fall over. Given that my fingers are always wet and I'm always dealing with at least 6 to 8 test tubes at a time, I'm bound to knock one over if not drop one on the floor where it, of course, shatters.

The old test kits had plastic tubes with nice little stands so they weren't so easy to knock over and break. Some marketing genius must have realized that people would have to buy another test kit if they broke all the tubes. Myself, I'm looking for an alternative at a scientific supply store.
I use a medicine dropper to put water in the tubes. :) If you break tubes, you should be able to buy new ones without buying a kit, or just ask the LFS if they have any extras. I got a few from PetSmart for free.

carpediem

Registered Loser
mishi8 said:
I use a medicine dropper to put water in the tubes. :) If you break tubes, you should be able to buy new ones without buying a kit, or just ask the LFS if they have any extras. I got a few from PetSmart for free.
I have a few pipettes that work good for adding water to and taking water out of the tubes, the only problem is that it's difficult to rinse them off. I could be testing water from a Tanganyikan tank at the same time I'm testing water from a discus tank and you don't want to mix any of the water or it will throw off the tests.

I would like to find a few small plastic graduated cylinders because they always have that little spout on the top that makes it easy to pour a tiny bit of water out of the tube at a time. Glass ones would be fine also, if they had a wide bottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store