stupid heater question?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

majortank

Do you like fishsticks?
Jul 16, 2008
DC
I just received a Penn Plax 100 watt heater off ebay. And I opened the package and noticed that at the bottom of the heater tube theres some paper or plastic-looking material inside the tube touching the parts that heat up...

I tried to take a picture (first time uploading to this site, hope it works). You can definitely see theres some white material in the tube touching the heating coils. My other heater doesn't look have that, and no other heaters ive ever seen have it... Am i supposed to open the tube and take that out? It doesn't say anything about it in the instructions...

HELP!

IMAGE_144.jpg

majortank

Do you like fishsticks?
Jul 16, 2008
DC
I agree... So that would mean this material is supposed to be there? It does say its moisture proof... maybe that just absorbs the moisture?

I think I'm just going to go for it and plug it in...

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i have had a couple of heaters with that in there (Elite brand that clips on the tank) and i didn't take it out and the heater was just fine (second hand heater).

not sure why some manufacturers put that in, but i don't see it on any newer heaters in the stores these days.

majortank

Do you like fishsticks?
Jul 16, 2008
DC
Well i'm still alive, no fires or electrocutions... we'll count that as a win. Thanks for your help

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
i agree with the others, it is supposed to be in there, i have 3 heater with that and they are fine.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
actually insulation.. more to protect the glass from extreme temps created by the hot wires in the element.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store