Sudden Thread Algae Outbreak

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
About 6 months ago I did a massive cleanup of my 55 gallon freshwater tank, since I had let it go for far too long. Since then, I have added an Aquaclear 300 to supplement the filtration of my Fluval 305 and bought a few live plants. The thank is not heavily stocked. Two platys, 1 large angel, 3 neon tertas, one chinese algae eater and a bristlenose pl*co.

About two weeks ago, I cleaned out the canister filter and changed the Purigen in it, and a few days later, I noticed that the tank had a small amount of what appears to be thread algae in it. Well, it's gotten worse now. Not a ton of it the stuff, but it's all over my Amazon Sword plant and is starting to cover my driftwood.

The pl*co and the algae eater will not touch the stuff.

What's the best way to get rid of the stuff?

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Remove as much as you can manually. Cut down on the time your lights are on, feed less and do lots of water changes to dilute the nutrients in the water. Also, if you can increase the movement of the water somehow, (bubbler, airstone, powerhead etc.) it may help. It is a very persistent type of algae, so removing some every day by hand will help the tank look nicer.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Remove as much as you can manually. Cut down on the time your lights are on, feed less and do lots of water changes to dilute the nutrients in the water. Also, if you can increase the movement of the water somehow, (bubbler, airstone, powerhead etc.) it may help. It is a very persistent type of algae, so removing some every day by hand will help the tank look nicer.
Is there something that eats this stuff? Can I get some snails or Otto cats?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not know for sure if any fishes will eat it. I have heard that Ruby Barbs and Flag fish will, but not sure on this.

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
Many of the vegetarian cichlids such as Herichthys pearsei and bocourti will eat it, but they both get too large for that size tank, sailfin mollies also eat it (Poecilia velifora and latipina). I encourage its growth in some of my tanks because I keep cichlids that eat it. It grows in some of my tanks with a very heavy flow rate.
The reason it appeared may be that there may have been a few strands attached to, and came in on your new plants,

As you can see by the way the plants are bent over from the strong flow, hair algae is unfazed by water movement, and in fact, thrives in this tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I do not think the spores came from your water. Water companys add chemicals to kill algae in water. It probably came with the plants and just waited for the best environment to grow.

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
Agree with Tanker, if you are on a public water system, this would be highly unlikely.
I worked as a chemist/microbiologist for a water provider, and the processes we used to to make surface water potable, easily eliminated any type algae.
Algal spores can enter a tank with plants, fish, live foods, and many other avenues, and can be dormant until the conditions are just right to flourish. It could be anything from a change in light, (a slight bit of extra sunlight, or new bulb) to a slight change in water chemistry from a rock, wood or fish growth adding nutrients, a to a buildup of metabolism by-products in a filter.

Reactions: Duckie

Mr Ironic

AC Members
May 26, 2015
About 6 months ago I did a massive cleanup of my 55 gallon freshwater tank, since I had let it go for far too long. Since then, I have added an Aquaclear 300 to si upplement the filtration of my Fluval 305 and bought a few live plants. The thank is not heavily stocked. Two platys, 1 large angel, 3 neon tertas, one chinese algae eater and a bristlenose pl*co.

About two weeks ago, I cleaned out the canister filter and changed the Purigen in it, and a few days later, I noticed that the tank had a small amount of what appears to be thread algae in it. Well, it's gotten worse now. Not a ton of it the stuff, but it's all over my Amazon Sword plant and is starting to cover my driftwood.

The pl*co and the algae eater will not touch the stuff.

What's the best way to get rid of the stuff?
i was recently dealing with thread algae.

1. thread algae occurs when there is a high concentration of iron so do some water changes to remove the excess iron
2. it like high light for long periods of time so cut down on the lighting. turn off the light for 3 hrs inbetween the photoperiod
3. thread algae likes high temperatures and hates c02. if you can lower you temperature to 22c and double dose liquid c02/increase c02

i was able to stop it from spreading and now i manually remove it. also my plants have started to grow properly so they help remove the excess iron from the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store