Suggestiond for 125g Central American

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
I recently moved a 125g out of my bedroom and into a place that will get more attention from visitors. The tank has a few fish in it already, but nothing permanent.

At first I was going to try

1 Vieja heterospila - male - 7"
1 Vieja zonata -male- 6",
1 Tomocichla tuba - 4"
3 Astatheros rhytisma - 2 males, 1 female - 3"

But now I'm thinking about going with a single wild caught male Labiatum to raise for show, along with some small and but very aggressive cichlids that can take care of themselves. Maybe some Geophagus stiendachneri, Neets, and Panamensis.

What do you guys think?

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Why not get something colorful? As mentioned, Vieja usually has great colors.

Personally, I like Vieja bifasciatus, Nandopsis Haitiensis, Beani, and name a few :D

You mentioned to me in the past that you have 40+ CA, so I don't know what you own right now or have owned.

Since DarthV sent ahead of me...now made me wanna question you one thing...are you looking for just CA?

Last edited:

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
If I devote this tank to a single large fish I'd rather go with a Red Devil. They're just more attractive IMO. Amphilophus seem to do very well at shows, but not Parachromis. Also, a divider is not very attractive for a show tank, and if there wasn't a divider the fish would get beat up.

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
So...you are talking about more of a community tank? If that's the case, you got more choices. Many of the Geophagus and Gymnogeophagus got great coloration.

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
I have 4 Bifasciatus, but have never kept Haitiensis or Beani. But that reminds me. I may be getting some wild Beani from friend of mine in Mexico. That may be a good choice.

It really doesn't matter what I have already and what I don't. If I already have the fish then I probably like it and could move it over to this tank. I already have 8 Red Devils (Wild and F1) but wouldn't mind another.

Thanks for the replies.

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
No, I would be fine with a single Huge killer. But its got to be something I really like. Such as a wild Labiatum or Beani.

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
125g can give you better and wider choice than most people who have 75g :D

Did you look at cichildscene website? He had the ACA convention pictures up...showing a Beani. Beautiful fish!!

I think Amphilophus, Nandopsis (except for dempseys, salvini...and name a few), and Vieja are great fishes to own. And I think you can have your pick there.

Last edited:

peifc

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
New York
www.peifc.com
Originally posted by DarthV
Well if you can find a managuense that is as nice to look at as MoJo's Jumbo, then I'd say go for one of those!
He said that he doesn't want parachromis.

Did you try out Amphilophus Lyonis? That is one beautiful fish too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store