suggestions for cichlids for a 6'2'2'

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidman

AC Members
Jun 20, 2005
i have a very large aquarium but i need advice on what fish to get. i want a variety of colours but i would also like to breed them, i would prefer mouth brooders . i also want some great looking fish that dont need to be good breeders. any suggestions would help.

tlaug

AC Members
Feb 14, 2005
How many fish are you wanting to have. You could have a nice African Cichlid tank. Or you could have a pair of SA cichlids like flowerhorns (my pick)or red devils with some catfish for the clean up crew. With a good size tank they are so many things you can do. Look on the web at what others have done and see what you like and start there. :thm:

kayla

weeeeee!
Jul 24, 2005
What's an African Cichlid? :laugh: :dance2:

No, really though if your looking for colorful mouthbrooders, mbuna are the way to go. Just search for species from Lake Malawi. Although not all Malawians mbuna. Haps are also pretty colorful, but IMO get larger than mbuna. :thm: Have fun.

Last edited:

cichlidman

AC Members
Jun 20, 2005
i want to have enough fish for the tank to look good, but so that they dont feel uncomfortable and over crowded

tlaug

AC Members
Feb 14, 2005
kayla said:
What's an African Cichlid? :laugh: :dance2:

No, really though if your looking for colorful mouthbrooders, mbuna are the way to go. Just search for species from Lake Malawi. Although not all Malawians mbuna. Haps are also pretty colorful, but IMO get larger than mbuna. :thm: Have fun.

okay pick on the fat kid ;)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
With a tank that size you can have maybe 3-4 pairs of cichlids in there. You can have a pair of "Jewels cichlids"--they are really colorful when ready to breed. A pair of firemouths are good too, with maybe a pair of "Rainbow cichlids.

If you really want mouth-breeders get some zebras. There are many different color forms (albino, tangerine, blotch, blue, ect).

fishlips

Quality Takes Time
Dec 22, 2001
Harwinton,CT
I'd say some haps some peacocks and or yellow labs. Plenty of color options there.

For americans...Thats right you want african.

You may want to try cichlid-forum it has tons of info for africans and american cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store