Suitable set-up for Angelfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I disagree, an angel obviously can't go into a 10, and 2 angels in a 20 isn't going to work either.
actually.. I believe ponderinginky was stating general rules...
10 gallons per adult angel is the general rule for fitting angels to tanks..caveat is usually put in (like minimum 29 gallon)
but breeders often use 20 talls for breeding pairs of angels. remember tho , this is a breeding pair and the only inhabitants of the tank.

for a display tank.. different set of rules..IMO, a 29, or in this case a taller 30 would work great.

Last edited:

Temptress

Total Newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Minnesota
I have a friend that is an avid breeder of angels and ALL his pairs are in 20high tanks, so yes 2 angels CAN go into a 20g =) I do agree with 1 angel certainly not going into a 10gal tho haha but I think the "1 angel per 10gal" is a rule once you get a little -up- there in the gallons, same is true of discus that is their rule as well but you wouldn't keep less than 4 therefore, not less than 40gal would be sufficient, in my experience.

To the OP, the tank you tell about sounds beautiful, and a perfect setup for a happy angelfish gl with it! =) Pics will be a must!

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Generally angels prefer taller tanks
19" is not tall enough? how tall are your angel tanks?

I agree with ponderinginky 10g per angel is fine... he has some fine angels and raises tons of them so i think he knows what he is doing.

Also i have one angel in a tank with those exact dimensions, he has plenty of room, and he is a veil tail.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
I disagree, an angel obviously can't go into a 10, and 2 angels in a 20 isn't going to work either.
I never suggested to put an angel in a 10 gallon tank, as star rider said, just giving a general rule. On the 2 angels in a 20, all my breeders are in 20 H's and do just fine. They are the only fish in the tank and I do have a couple of artificial plants in with them, pool filter sand on the bottom and a slate. I have raised thousands of angels with this set up - you just have to keep up with your tank maintenance. I was only trying to let charley know that if he decided to have an angel in his set up that it is fine. I too think it will be a beautiful tank once it is up an running!

Hope that clears it up a bit.

tfrank112

AC Members
Feb 11, 2010
Southern California
19" is not tall enough? how tall are your angel tanks?

I agree with ponderinginky 10g per angel is fine... he has some fine angels and raises tons of them so i think he knows what he is doing.

Also i have one angel in a tank with those exact dimensions, he has plenty of room, and he is a veil tail.
my angel/discus tank is 130gallons. Though I would not suggest putting an angel in a 10 gallon unless you want to kill it, and for a breeding tank to be 20gallons is mean as well. Minimum breeding tank for angels is 30 gallons. Angels want at the very least 20gallons per fish. They get big and their fins get long and need space.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
tfrank,

I guess we have to agree to disagree. I have been breeding angels for over 5 years in the 20H's and they don't seem to be stressed or unhappy - I don't disagree that 30's are a great breeder size but 20H's work too. I have 3 full slates as of this evening so something must be working. I feed them well, do regular water changes and give them breaks from time to time. I also have pool filter sand in all my tanks - another no no according to "breeders" - but I don't like bare bottom tanks so I don't have them.

I don't want to hijack this thread - so Charley enjoy your angel in the 30 you have set up and know that he/she will be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store