Summer indoor fishes in outdoor pond?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toffee

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
I live in the desert of Southern California desert, summer temperature often reach 100F-120F (43C-49C), we are planning to travel in the summer months from July to Sept, but what to do with fishes in that 50g tank? I do have a 500g 4ft deep tiled outdoor pond with god fishes, filtration, auto-feeder and water circulations.

I am debating to summer aquarium fishes (tetras, white clouds, livebearers, rams, gouramis, SAEs) in the outdoor pond, and collect them when we are back home, in late September. My worries:
  1. Would the outdoor water temperature be too high in the summer? Although gold fishes live and bred in that water ...
  2. Would the indoor fishes be too naive to survive outdoor with nature predators?
  3. How to retrieve them? This is the one that puzzles me, should I buy a huge net, say the size of a 50g tank and have them live in that net?
All suggestions are welcome, thanks.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
You may have to look at a petsitter instead. Have someone stop by once or twice a week at least to feed and change the water.

Many of those fish would end up inadvertently as goldfish snacks.

White clouds especially would not fare well in the heat, and rams shouldn't go with goldfish even temporarily since they need pristine water quality.... which goldfish aren't the best with.

Reactions: toffee

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with NoodleCats. But there is also the possibility of predation by racoons, egrets, cats or whatever lives near you. It's just too hot for almost all outdoor fish. I'm in Nor Cal & it's too hot here in summer. I had a momentary thought of mosquito fish from the county when I had an outdoor waterlily but it's just not practical. I have no shade either, way too hot especially with no almost daily oversight.

A well instructed indoor petsitter is what we've done but only for 2 or 3 weeks at most. Do you have a fish keeping friend that lives close to you? Would they change water every week or 2? Feed 1 or 2 times a week with food size containers? Know how to clean & restart a filter as needed? Deal with sick fish or consult you?

Reactions: toffee

Annetti

AC Members
Jan 15, 2024
May be relocating your indoor fishes to the outdoor pond, but monitor water temperature. Ensure they're acclimated, and perhaps use a large net for retrieval upon your return.

toffee

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
We do have 40F nights (5C or so) , but only for a week or so a year. In summer, I float couple of 2ft x 2ft foams on top of pond so fishes have some shade, some years, I cut holes on the foam, planted vegetable in hydroponic buckets that sat in those holes.

What I couldn't figure out is how to collect the indoor fishes once I am back from vacations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store