sun coral

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
is it cool to keep these guys in the sand on the bottom of the tank?That way bottle feeding shouldnt be a problem.Yeah the blenny is a blast,he is like a little person..

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
As long as there is good strong water motion, anywhere is fine. These corals prefer and appreciate good water flow, despite the fact that the polyps tend to be larger.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
the one you see as my avatar was out in top of the substrate and in full view under a metal halide light. I basically had it trained to open when I turned on the lights in anticipation of food. I'd feed the fish first so the food in the water would get it all open and then I'd target feed the sun corals polyps with a turkey baster. I used a mix of mysis, carnivore & omnivore foods, cyclopeeze, flakes whatever I had grabbed to mix up that moment, and I also had some marine liquid vitamins I would squirt in the mixture. I had a cleaner shrimp that would rob the sun coral, but I'd stand by and squirt him with food and water and shoo him away. I was a bit obsessive about that coral. :grinyes: I plan to have another one in this tank I'm working on, but I won't have a cleaner shrimp. Annoying little buggers! Anyway, I probably fed heavily enough, it didn't seem to be harmed by whatever did get stolen from it. I fed mine twice a day though, same time I fed the rest of the tank. YMMV

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
well I think if I target feed everyday at the same time I should be cool.So I think I will bring him out and into the light with lots of flow and go from there.As far as food goes,I did buy vitamin enriched brine shrimp.Plus I have clam meat and bloodworms and all that good stuff.thanx for your input!

duneenworywifit

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
well upon closer inspection of this sun coral,its looking more like dendrophyllia.Reason being is that its corallites are a salmon colour. The polyps when extended are yellow like the sun coral.Do they require the same care as sun coral??My julian sprung book doesnt really have too much info on them,besides I prefer to deal with people. thanx guys
Ill post some pics tonite

carribear

AC Members
Nov 24, 2008
Cali
I use a funnel. it works perfect! you just put it over them upside down and squeeze the food into the small end. Just a suggestion!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store