Sundew Ids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Looks like I've got it figured out. First one is D. spatulata, as determined by leaf shape and color of bloom. Second one is D. capensis. Here's a pic of the spatulata in bloom:

IMG_20120528_101048.jpg

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Very nice specimens Sub! Can't say I'm all that surprised they survived the winter, despite being subtropicals...both are pretty death-proof IME.

That being said you'd get some really good year round growth bringing them in for the winter. Probably wouldn't need more than a warm windowsill with some decent sunlight. JMO.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Very nice specimens Sub! Can't say I'm all that surprised they survived the winter, despite being subtropicals...both are pretty death-proof IME.

That being said you'd get some really good year round growth bringing them in for the winter. Probably wouldn't need more than a warm windowsill with some decent sunlight. JMO.
I intend to, but I made the purchases without doing all of the research. I'm going to put a small LED light in my kitchen to keep the non hardy ones through the winter.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Very cool stuff! I never gave it much thought into growing them all year outside but I might have to look into that.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Finally got some native Sundews! I was collecting fish down in the Pine Barrens of NJ a few weeks ago and found D. filiformis and D. intermedia. No luck on D. rotundifolia, but I'm sure it's there when I can spare the time again! Here's a pic of the filiformis now that it's starting to regrow after transplanting. The intermedia actually has a single little leaf starting as well but I can't get a clear pic. Next week maybe!

IMG_20120720_135715.jpg

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Very cool! Do you have coordinates or general location where you found them? I've been meaning to go out to the pine barrens and do some CP hunting. I live in Burlington County so they are pretty close to me. Just be careful of what you take. Many of the CP community frowns on "poaching".

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
They were locally abundant where I found them. What would probably interest poachers would be the Pitchers I saw at another site, or the patch of literally THOUSANDS of Eriocaulon parkeri at another!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store