Sunlight’s tank journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think that's your best course of action. Euthanasia is difficult...& who knows, maybe a miracle will happen....How is your other shrimp doing? Any green "stuff" happening there?

I would be careful gathering leaves etc. from a golf course, they may use pesticides, etc., many do...

Reactions: Sunlight

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
I think that's your best course of action. Euthanasia is difficult...& who knows, maybe a miracle will happen....How is your other shrimp doing? Any green "stuff" happening there?

I would be careful gathering leaves etc. from a golf course, they may use pesticides, etc., many do...
Oh yeah I didn’t talk about that on here... the shrimp with the green stuff is doing amazing in the jar, oddly enough. I’m still keeping an eye on it in case the green stuff changes colors (fingers crossed).

however, the other shrimp in the 10g did not make it. He was perfectly fine until one random night I saw him laying on his side on the sand barely twitching, I assume he passed from moulting complications over that night. The next morning I found his severed head, so I assume ollie and Reggie had their way with the dead body. The rest of it got eaten throughout the next day. It wasn’t a moult though because there was meat in the shell.

I don’t worry about them attacking living shrimp but they do go after dead things. Lol. The shrimp in the 20 are doing great also. It just seems to be the one shrimp affected

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Also yes I was careful to only get leaves that weren’t touching the ground (they were still on a dead stick). :)

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Someone help me fight the urge to rip up all the plants except for the crypts and penny wort and add a few lillies and a ton of floaters and botanicals and leaf litter and a few more riparium plants and turn it into a mini pond :/

Reactions: CichlidFins

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
So, the plants in this tank weren’t super healthy so I decided to dirt the tank. Since I was already needing to take out the substrate to dirt it, I went ahead and added some play sand for a softer substrate. Ollie seems to LOVE sifting through it and digging in it which is awesome. And I feel sure he appreciates the softness of it :) The dirt I used has peat moss in it, so I expect lots of tannins!!

DA291918-2C76-4A10-988E-2BBA32FC3F82.jpeg
BC1EF801-4613-454D-93B0-7B42B277D96D.jpeg

I’m about to dirt the 20 too and add the soft sand, which I know my loaches will be very happy about!!

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Dirt scares me, but I wish you good luck! It doesn't look like much dirt in your pics...before & not after? Or something I'm missing?
I hid the dirt! :) I left about 1/2 an inch to 1 inch of no dirt on all the edges so you don’t see the nasty dirt line. I’ve been speaking to someone who has been growing/selling plants for many years and he has been helping me with my plant health, first thing he said was to get Jiffy Seed Starter and dirt my tank, and not to worry because this specific dirt is a different grain that doesnt get messy! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store