SUNSUN HW-302 Outside Filter setup & test

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
That's thing has got to weigh a ton when it's filled with water. Will be a pain in the butt to pull and clean. Also noticed there was no handle on the top. That would be a definite mark in the negative category for me. Did it come with any type of media? All I saw in the pics was that white filter pad.
No handle so like my Fluval 404 I have to give it a bear-hug to lift it. but this is the draw back to all top lip pump designs. Because the motor is in the top lid and 99% of the canister water is out of reach of the pump you cannot empty the canister of water using the pump before removing it for cleaning.

unlike bottom motor designed filters like the Magnums and Fluval FX5, all one has to do before removing the canister is shut and remove the intake hose from the canister, turn on the filter and crack open the intake valve (hose removed) to allow air in as the bottom pump pumps out 99% of all the water in the canister making it light as a feather for removal.

When I remove my FX5 for cleaning empty it weighs about 4 pounds, my Magnum 350 about 1 pounds. Unable to empty my Fluval 404 becasue if the top motor design it weighs about 20 pounds about as much as this SUNSUN filter will.

But one good thing about the SunSun filter is that it is much wider then tall so the center of gravity is low which means with a little DIY know-how one could make a little harness for it out of ropes, nylon strapping or just 3 doubled-up plastic walmart bags LOL.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have been thinking of buying one of these for quite awhile but for some reason or another never did. Your assessment of the filter has given me the insight I wanted before buying one.

Thanks for the post!

jptjpt

AC Members
May 16, 2008
At that price, I usually buy two and use one for spare parts. It's also alot easier to service with a second identical canister housing.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Personally I think if your going to pay twice as much as use one for a spare, you might as well buy a name brand with easily available spare parts that will be fresh. having said that recommend you dissemble, lubricate, and seal all spare parts with O-rings ans sealing surfaces such as valves, lid, impeller, otherwise ozone will deteriorate them over time.

Here is a link to the company that makes them and their different Sunsun filter models including UV and my HW-302 only 18W. They appear to make a bunch of aquariums, pumps, and lighting. Note the different voltages for world wide distribution, this is no tiny company and looks like a future contender in the aquarium market which is obviously huge in china.
http://www.sunsun-china.com/en/Product/ProductList.aspx?type=Category&CID=3&CategoryID=15

http://www.sunsun-china.com/en/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?ID=418

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i have the sunsun and the "reactor" brand now. They are veyr similar and I am super pleased with both. The carrying handle is my only real complaint. I have been using the sunsun for probablyt about 6 monhts now and still haven't serviced the media as there has been no slowdown of discharge. I should probably do that sometime soon.....

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
I too have been running Sunsun canisters for over a year now. The handles on the basket are the one weak point I have found but I did not lube the outside of the baskets DOH... Probably would have solved my problem. The baskets fit so snugly that the bottom one bound up in the bottom of the canister and when I went to pull the handle it broke at the holding points. Nothing I can't fix with some bent aluminum to make a new handle.

As far as parts go some of the vendors on E-bay also carry replacement parts or can get them for you. I use HBH 100 and 50 micron cut to fit reusable pads in place of the white filter floss and pot scrubbies in place of the bioballs and rings that it comes with.

What i find works well is:

Bottom basket:
Sponge
50 Micron pad
filter floss

Middle basket
Scrubbies 8

Top basket
50 Micron pad
100 micron pad
scrubbies

I have not noticed any flow slow down and I service my canisters once every 2 months or so just do too the fact that the tanks these are on house very large dirty fish.

Just to back this up and give another point of view here is my review.

Sunsun Canister Filter

Thanks for the great report .....

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Sounguru, after looking at their site models I don't think that black canister look-a-like on ebay is a Sunsun. I know in the motorcycle and scooter trade in china there are knock-offs galore in smaller companies that try and pass off as the popular knock-off LOL.

China's biggest weakness here in the US is a commitment to bonafide distributors with brand names, parts, and service. Something Japan got on the ball with right away and I'm sure hoping they (China) never do.

As far a handle with the top of the canister shape wide at the top, all you would need is two straps, basically a dog collar under the bulge and a leash to loop over and around to each side of the collar and you have a carry strap, or a small piece of white nylon rope with a slip-knot under the bulge and then looped for a carry handle. really the carry handle is a non issue.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Nice,

I am glad to see you post this.

I have also tried some of the (knockoffs) with great results

I may give this one a try also.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Sometimes I wonder why I keep things like extra screws from an assembled or discarded piece of furniture or in this case old luggage rack straps that were never used.

This took about 5 minutes to fix, the buckled snug flat straps making it impossible to slip past the bulge and the straps soft and slack enough to lay out the way when not being used.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
:lol:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store