Super Guppies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Primetime said:
http://www.****************/catalog_pages/livebearer_guppies/guppies.htm
Something that caught my attention:
Size and Life Span. Guppies have a life span of 2 to 3 years. Males can grow to about 2" including their long tails. Females can grow to be 2.5" long. Sometimes Guppies will live longer and grow bigger.
I am not starting to believe that these may have been a variant morph that had a Giant gene. Many animals tend to have a giant gene in them and some breeders do use this gene to breed larger animals.
Right now, I also own Leopard Geckos, on average the length is 8 inches. But one of the founding breeders of this animal and top authority, Ron Tremper, got a Giant. This guy is up to 11 inches big and his name is Moose. Well, he started to breed Moose with others in his collectoin and now has an active Giant morph in the hobby. I think this is the same with the Super Guppies, but no one is actively breeding these as a strain. So every once in awhile we will see Giant guppies but not as common as we once did.

Here is a picture of Moose From Ron Trempers Leopard gecko page.
http://www.leopardgecko.com/index1.html

Koi Hoe

AC Members
Nov 24, 2005
Thank again everyone
Lots of great stuff here ;

Ok lots of good points here ,yes I agree we as average keepers are really only interested in have a tank full of beautiful fish , as most will have the tanks over stock, and not the best of best water quality,
And yes I do agree also with the point that these Super Giant Guppies were if fact so call man made by breeding and maybe cross breeding with ???????? Now of coarse the breeders were also using more then the average water volume holing tanks then normal hobbies would be using to grow these babies that size , the beat water quality, high protein foods feed 3 or 4 time a days- maybe more, and doing 10 to 20% water changes daily to get these guys to grow the size that they where , we as average fish keepers would see these guppies in the LPS at about 1” to maybe 1.5” tops and they really never have a chance to grow to the full size of 2.5” so this maybe true .

I can say this it’s been some time for me to really see a really good size guppy in some time ,Most LFS carry the avg. size of 1.5” so Like I stated before I have not really kept Tropical Aquarium fish for some years maybe 10 or more , I have been into and keeping and raising Koi for the 3-4 years and with in this past year raise and keeping Fancy Goldfish now with 3 out door ponds totaling 7000 + galloons and 4 indoor ponds totaling 3300 + gallons ,
I ‘m just now starting to get back into setting up a few tanks to start raising and breeding certain types of fish as a hobbyist ,these were one of the type that I though I would start with Giant Super Delta Guppies as I think they were called .

So I think I’ll keep my hopes up and keep looking and asking question and see if someone has any left or still breeds them ,and while I doing this I’m going to shop around and get me some really nice Delta Tail Guppies -like 3 sets of trio( 9 guppies ) which I believe are to be the largest in length and biggest tails of all the guppies types and do my own experience and place them in a large tank like a 55 gallon and feed them live and high protein foods 5 -6 times a day , daily water changes of 10- 15% , and keep daily records of what I doing and growth for say 6 months , then I’ll set a smaller tank like a 10 or 15 gallon like most would have and place some of the same type of guppies and same amount of guppies as in the bigger tank and just feed them say 2 times a day with the flake food and maybe a treat of live or frozen food , do 10 % water changes weekly ,like the average keeper would do and keep them records on them also to see if the guppies grow in any difference in size , color or shape .

What ya think about this ,
I not ur average Fish Keeper anymore since I started with Koi & Goldfish and very large bodies of water (PONDS VS TANKS )

ToldYa I’m Just a Koi Hoe :thm:

Primetime

AC Members
Nov 12, 2005
Koi Hoe said:
Thank again everyone
Lots of great stuff here ;

Ok lots of good points here ,yes I agree we as average keepers are really only interested in have a tank full of beautiful fish , as most will have the tanks over stock, and not the best of best water quality,
And yes I do agree also with the point that these Super Giant Guppies were if fact so call man made by breeding and maybe cross breeding with ???????? Now of coarse the breeders were also using more then the average water volume holing tanks then normal hobbies would be using to grow these babies that size , the beat water quality, high protein foods feed 3 or 4 time a days- maybe more, and doing 10 to 20% water changes daily to get these guys to grow the size that they where , we as average fish keepers would see these guppies in the LPS at about 1” to maybe 1.5” tops and they really never have a chance to grow to the full size of 2.5” so this maybe true .

I can say this it’s been some time for me to really see a really good size guppy in some time ,Most LFS carry the avg. size of 1.5” so Like I stated before I have not really kept Tropical Aquarium fish for some years maybe 10 or more , I have been into and keeping and raising Koi for the 3-4 years and with in this past year raise and keeping Fancy Goldfish now with 3 out door ponds totaling 7000 + galloons and 4 indoor ponds totaling 3300 + gallons ,
I ‘m just now starting to get back into setting up a few tanks to start raising and breeding certain types of fish as a hobbyist ,these were one of the type that I though I would start with Giant Super Delta Guppies as I think they were called .

So I think I’ll keep my hopes up and keep looking and asking question and see if someone has any left or still breeds them ,and while I doing this I’m going to shop around and get me some really nice Delta Tail Guppies -like 3 sets of trio( 9 guppies ) which I believe are to be the largest in length and biggest tails of all the guppies types and do my own experience and place them in a large tank like a 55 gallon and feed them live and high protein foods 5 -6 times a day , daily water changes of 10- 15% , and keep daily records of what I doing and growth for say 6 months , then I’ll set a smaller tank like a 10 or 15 gallon like most would have and place some of the same type of guppies and same amount of guppies as in the bigger tank and just feed them say 2 times a day with the flake food and maybe a treat of live or frozen food , do 10 % water changes weekly ,like the average keeper would do and keep them records on them also to see if the guppies grow in any difference in size , color or shape .

What ya think about this ,
I not ur average Fish Keeper anymore since I started with Koi & Goldfish and very large bodies of water (PONDS VS TANKS )

ToldYa I’m Just a Koi Hoe :thm:
Good luck man. I am very interested to see if it works out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store