Supplements

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

salazaar

AC Members
Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
As my reef tank is about 3 months old and I want to start adding corals and anemones I have been contemplating how to add all the supplements such as Calcium, Strontium, Iodine . . . I am planning on buying the whole line up from Kent Marine to supplement all the inverts and corals

Liquid Calcium
Strontium & Molybdenum
Iodine
Microvert
Phytoplex
Zoe Marine
. . . . .

is there anything else I should get.

Can I mix these all up with some water and add them via an IV style drip over time, if not are there other supplements that I can mix up and add via a drip, I'd rather be able to mix up all the stuff for a week or two rather than remember to add it every day.

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
most people that I talk to don't add anything to their tanks besides Calcium. With regular water changes all the other trace elements are replenished just fine.

Also I guess you need to add food for the corals a couple times a week... but thats not a suppliment really.

Guy

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Kent is getting rich off supplements people don't need, in my opinion. I only add B-Ionic calcium and alkalinity supplement on a daily schedule, and my corals are growing like weeds. If you like Kent, I think they have a similar two-part supplement. If you want to set up a drip, you can use kalkwasser to supplement the two-part additive.

Iodine: There is a lot of debate and very little data regarding the requirement for iodine. First test for it. There is probably plenty going in with the fish food.

If you have a large growth of acropora, you may need to supplement strontium, otherwise you will get plenty with your water changes.

One thing that will probably be helpful, which isn't on your list is phytoplankton. DTs, Tahitian blend and others make easy-to-use formulations.

With all the money you saved, I would strongly suggest getting Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals book. It will take a lot of the mystery out of the system.

Good luck, and keep asking!

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
I do pretty much the same - I dose B-Ionic on a daily basis, add magnesium when necessary, and grow my own phyto (DT's is too expensive). Everything is doing great and I change about 10% of the water every two weeks using Instant Ocean salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store