Surprise baby tetra in our goldfish tank??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kirarise

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2019
Okay, so this is a very weird situation, so I decided forums would be better because google only tells you so much.

I recently added a bunch of new plants to my 150L goldfish tank, the store we bought the plants from had a bunch of fish in the plant tank, no big deal, pretty normal. However, they must not have noticed a pregnant fish, because I believe that one of my plants must have had eggs on it.

Me and my dad look after the tank together and it wasn't until a week or 2 so after getting the plants, that my dad noticed a TINY TINY little fish swimming around at the top of the tank.

He moved it to an aquaponics tank because that's the only tank we have with a sponge filter, and we've been monitoring it for the past two weeks. It seems to be doing fantastic, it's growing well, it's swimming happily, the tank change didn't seem to affect it at all.

HOWEVER, as it's getting bigger, I'm pretty confident it's a tetra of some sort, it's not a neon, because the colour should have come in by now, but other than that I'm not sure. It's kind of a miracle this little fish survived, and I really do wanna give it the best life possible, but obviously I was not prepared and haven't done any research on tetras.

My 150L tank currently just hosts a single comet goldfish (who's getting pretty big!! I love my son), 3 snails and a mussel. The water conditions are pretty identical in the big tank and in the little one baby fish is in, and she's been thriving, so I'm not worried about that. We have another tank available but it's only 29L, it's on standby as a quarantine or hospital tank if need be, it also has the same water conditions as the other two.

My biggest worry is whether or not baby fish would get along with a big goldfish, especially on her own, since tetras are schooling fish. When she's bigger, I could try getting her more tetra friends, but if they aren't part of the same egg group, I'd be worried something would go wrong, especially when I'm not sure what kind of tetra she is. I'm not even 100% sure she's a tetra!? I've just been comparing her to videos of different newborn fish and she looks the most like a tetra.

This is kind of a unique situation, so any advice would be helpful, even if the advice is to give her to someone else (we purposely haven't named her). Dad and I are new to fishkeeping, and this goldfish tank is our first tank, so we're a bit clueless on how to handle this situation, but at least baby fish is doing good so far!

IMG_20190129_144729_783.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
At that size, there's no way to identify the species. But, there are scads and scads of fish that will deposit eggs on plants, so it's not that uncommon. It could even be a guppy fry--could have been hidden in the plants.

In terms of long term---it's likely not going to do well with the goldfish, the temp requirements are too different. What temp is at currently? A small tank will be fine for several months with a simple bubble/sponge filter. You can set that up and monitor to let the fish mature enough to identify. If it is a tetra, you can add it to another group that's similar sized--the store will probably have them. Same for a guppy.

In terms of identifying, you should call the store and ask what other fish are in the planted tanks. They should have a clue.

Reactions: fishorama

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome!

Yep. Way too early to tell what you have. It could indeed be a livebearer fry. They can easily get caught up in a plant transfer. I've done that myself with some guppies I have.

Either way, it's kind of fun thing and surprising too. In most of my tanks, any fish that could fit a fry in it's mouth, would eat it.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What a fun surprise! The only things I've gotten with plants are pest snails or java moss, lol.

If it turns out to be a fish you'd like to keep, great. If not, see if your store will take it back. It's not like you chose this fish, but raising it enough to identify might be a nice project for you & your dad. It's tummy looks nice & full, so far so good.

Keep the water very clean, lots of small water changes with vacuuming out old foods; daily if you can. Feed it at least a couple times day but just a very, very tiny amount of very small food. If you can add a piece or 2 of plant material, that would be good too. Plants can provide "some" food in the form of algae or "auf wuchs" (sort of a biofilm of algae & "micro critters").

Keep us updated on how it goes, raising fry can be hard! Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store