suspicious looking neon tetra

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cawaltons

AC Members
Jan 8, 2005
thanks for the link!

After pouring over this page, I can only rule out neon tetra disease for both the late tetra and the mystery fish. I wish I could get a clearer picture of the mystery fish but I haven't been able to get good lighting. I am planning to get a 65W PC to replace my 15 watt, so maybe then I will be able to take a better photo.

I am also trying to figure out how to set up a quarantine tank. The small aquarium set ups at the store don't include a heater. Our house is usually 68 degrees F. I don't want to spend more than $40 for a quarantine tank. I haven't had a lot of time to look into it, yet, though.

cawaltons

AC Members
Jan 8, 2005
Fin the betta

Maybe it is Fin (so named by my son)! He seems like a happy, active betta. He's either made an unorganized nest or it was messed up by the water movement from the filter.

He may be very happy since he was eating up lots of bloodworms intended for neon tetras and African Dwarf Frogs.

He may be annoyed by the neon tetras, but he never seems to bother with them.

Ems

Betta lover!
Jan 4, 2005
British Columbia
Very possible, but my guess is that he saw himself and felt threatened :) My bettas do it all the time. He shouldn't cause any problems with the neons, so it should be okay!

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Yeah, fish food usually doesn't have surfactants or anything like that in it and the filter would have to have an airpocket of some sort to actually blow bubbles. Watch the betta some and see if he is doing it. Not uncommon for them to do it at all.

cawaltons

AC Members
Jan 8, 2005
Could it be Velvet or Rust ?

Symptoms: Clamped fins, respiratory distress (breathing hard), yellow to light brown "dust" on body.

This disease has the appearance of a golden or brownish dust over the fins and body. The fish may show signs of irritation, like glancing off aquarium decor, shortage of breath (fish-wise), and clamping of the fins. The gills are usually the first thing affected. Velvet affects different species in different ways. Danios seem to be the most susceptible, but often show no discomfort. This disease is highly contagious and fatal.
The best treatment is with copper at 0.2 mg per liter (0.2 ppm) to be repeated once in a few days if necessary. Acriflavine (trypaflavine) may be used instead at 0.2% solution (1 ml per liter). As acriflavine can possibly sterilize fish and copper can lead to poisoning, the water should be gradually changed after a cure has been effected.

My neon acts normally, but I'd say he looks like he has brownish dust over the top of him.

msears07

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2007
I have had great success with my glo danios....until I tried to move my tank. {I now know better} anyway, it appears both fish were cut by the aquarium glass. One has made a seemingly full recovery, while the other is laying sideways{ALIVE}at the bottom of a little isolation tank. The isolated one still eats. Does anyone have a clue to what this could be? I am in my fifth month of caring for fish. What do I do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store