Swollen female betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Kerrie, welcome. Cute female betta there. Assuming you do weekly water changes, have a means to measure water parameters and you keep your nitrates as low as possible, what do you feed your betta?

I kept a sorority of 5-6 female bettas in my planted community 55g tank at one time. Loved them. A family favorite for sure. The problem was, over the course of a year or two, I lost them one by one due to bloat like yours is starting to display. The only thing I could attribute it to was the fact that they would eat too much, given I was trying to feed them along with a variety of fish who all eat at different rates in this tank. If I ever keep them again, it will be a sorority by themselves in a planted 20g long or the likes.

I would keep up on your water changes and feed very little and only 2-3x per week to see if things improve.

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
Try adding Epsom salt 1tsp per 5g and up to 1tsp per 1g. Can try to offer shelled peas...

Kerrie

AC Members
Nov 9, 2016
Thanks everyone. We do water changes weekly and I have the water tested weekly as well. Everything look great there. She's new to the tank. I feed peas today. We're using the betta gold hikara?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store