Swollen goldfish question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leolion66

AC Members
Nov 4, 2008
Louisiana
My mom just experienced something similar with her outside pond in which one of the fish showed abnormal swelling. I asked her if when she looked down on the fish if the scales resembled a pine cone. She replied yes. I am at a loss for the disease name. I can only remember that it results from liver disease within the infected fish. Hope this isn't your case. Just given you something else to be aware of........best of luck

acevudoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
Usually "pine-coning" is Dropsy.. Usually fatal..

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
No signs of dropsy yet.
Thanks for the replies. Did a water change today. All I know to do, is keep the water clean and hope for improvement.

acevudoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
Nah.. Dropsy is an all-over thing.. Those fantails aren't the best swimmers.. I bet he "crashed" or got a tumor.. They are pretty sturdy tho and can survive some nasty injuries.. I really wouldn't sweat it-- how long you had him/how large?

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
I have had him for a couple years. Hes around 5-6 inches, not including the tail.
I gave him some peas tonight, still has an appetite.
Hope you are right and he pulls through.

acevudoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
We are all pullin for you/him.. Fishy look rather large,all the better for his odds.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Hey Twistersmom, I suspect that your fish has a tumor. Even though you only noticed it today, since your goldie is the round-bodied type, it's easy to miss a gradual swelling if you don't sit down and examine him every single day. If you're just seeing him at feeding time and only for a couple of minutes, you might miss something swelling up like that. It's likely that since you were fiddling with the filter and spending a lot of time at the tank, he may have had this swelling for a while but you just happened to notice it then.
Tumors are common among goldfish and they are usually benign unless they grow too large and begin to press on internal organs. They can be removed through surgery, but costs can range from multiple hundreds of dollars to completely free, depending on fish vets in your area. Sometimes veterinarians will do the surgery for little or no cost since the chance to operate on a fish is relatively rare and can be a good learning opportunity. Again, depends on your area and vets.
As long as your fish is acting normally and feeding well, there's absolutely no reason to do surgery other than his lumpy appearance. :) If you don't mind and he seems healthy, leave him be. But if he stops eating or acts listless, best to take him in for a checkup.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I decided to move this thread here in Coldwater Illness section as I think it fits here now than the main forum.

I tried to enlist the help of a local vet before for the tumor removal but his tone when he talks implies clearly fish are not worth the trouble to him. I did not trouble him any further about it.

I'm happy you came back and posted in time here, Iris. I did suspect it could be tumor before the new photos were posted. Glad you confirmed what it was and I agree with you. The tumor my fish had was growing dramatically and could easily infect itself if Moby injured himself. He's just too feisty for his own good sometimes but is on the way to recovery now.

Twistermom, I hope your fantail will be okay and fingers crossed you won't need anything as drastic as the surgery. Goodness knows how worrisome this can be. What's his name?:)

Twistersmom

AC Members
Jan 17, 2009
Thanks for the replies and for moving my thread lupin.

To be honest, I have not named any of my fish. I need to get busy naming. He definitely deserves a name.

I am not at all bothered by his funny appearance. I will keep a close eye on him, and hope that the tumor does not start making his life uncomfortable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store