Swollen Mystery Snail

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MaxxyRide

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2017
Hi! I have an aquarium that's about 3 months old. It is 10gal and has 2 otocinclus, 2 glowlight tetra, 3 neon tetra and a mystery snail. It had more fish, but the tank crashed about a month ago and I lost a lot of them, these are the survivors. Since the crash, my levels have been pretty steady. I don't have the concrete numbers right now, but can post them tomorrow.

My problem is that my usually extremely active mystery snail, timbits, has suddenly become super lethargic. He has not been eating anything I've offered (blanched chard, zucchini, algae wafers) and has not been crawling around much. He is super swollen and can't seem to fully fit in his shell. He keeps flipping upside down and secreting a milky fluid. I can't tell if be smells because I have a very bad sense of smell. He does however slightly react if I tickle him. I have included pictures if that will help.

15124537672451086059398.jpg

1512453790461414977235.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
how did you cycle the tank? What caused the crash?

The snail looks to be on it's way out. Usually, a snail that's resting or stressed will retract in and close it's operculum...that it's hanging out like that and only reacts slightly is a very bad sign. I would remove it to another setup--even just a large bowl with some aeration--and monitor. Don't try feeding it until you see it moving around on it's own, normally.

MaxxyRide

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2017
I did a fish in cycle with already established media , gravel, and decorations. I don't think I was fully diligent with it which may be what caused the crash, but timbits was fine during and after the crash, he just started doing this a few days ago. I will move him to a seperate setup with my air stone though.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Snails tend to be slower to respond to negative issues as well, though they are often more tolerant of bad conditions. If it was exposed to high nitrogen levels, that's likely what's causing problems now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store