sword plant

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
yes, yes.... but only plants that were developed by Tropica have the 'tropica' in their name. if the company didn't exist the 'tropica' on the end of the name wouldn't be there. so :silly: lol.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's just a name for a specific variety of a species, like "sunset" hygro or crypt. crispulata "balansae" often (usually) called crypt. balansae. Tropica has or had a patent, it's more specific & different than just e. parvifolus.

If you develop a new variety of plant or fish you could call it Genus species "BFM", though it's kinda tacky to name them after yourself ;) & is often in honor of someone else, like the company that pays, a colleague or family member

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
they've coined names according to their founder/owner and their biologists/botanists also. with some of their last names you'd never know it unless you come across it...

'tropica' is becoming a common tag at the end of aquarium plants... that's for sure. just means "hybrid". :huh:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Like bonsai huh? cool. In my Q tank I've had an underfed & underlit sword that stays small but "stunted" isn't the same as "trained" :lipssealedsmilie: I don't remember, maybe it really is a smaller type :huh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store