Swordtail odd white stuff.. odd behaviour. Is she sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

poysen

AC Members
Aug 16, 2005
I just noticed today as did my husband that Sock, the one that we are concerned about, has a red spot on her head.. I didn't think that was there before and my husband agreed that it is new. I also just noted she has white stringy feces. Which are also signs of a parasite. I had my husband look at her gills to see if they are pumping fast and partially open.. he said they aren't but I'm going to peek at her myself in a bit. So, here's my dilemma.. I treated for a fungus last night and tonight. If it is indeed a parasite when can I safely medicate for that?

What would you all suggest? Does it sound like a parasite issue? I'm scared that all this is for nothing and all of them are still at risk

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
I am sorry, I can't say whether to treat for a parasite or not. Even If I were sure of the diagnosis, medications can be very tough on fish so I wouldnt really know how to advise.
I Can say that it is very very important to change plenty of water every day. Do not worry about changing too much. the fish ,it appears to me, have been very weakenned by the ammonia and nitrite levels. I have seen that before. Forget about percentages, Testwater every day or twice a day and if you see ANY ammonia or nitrites at all, Change pleanty of water. 50% should do it, but test again a few minutes later, if you see ANY ammonia or nitrites at all, change some more. It will not significantly slow down your cycle and will really help the fish be able to fight off the sicknesses they are getting. Make sure that you dechlorinate the water and Make sure that the temperature is the same as tank water. If its a different temp it will make it hard on the fish.
Also, Plain old salt is helpful for protecting them from the damages of nitrite. If there are other ingredients in the aquarium salt, i would suggest switch to plain old salt. I am sorry I cant tell you the exact amounts.
Cutting down on feeding Will reduce the amount of ammonia. Use the highest quality food you can find when you do feed.
Going through the cycling process can be tough on fish. plus it sounds like the new fish might have introduced velvet, which you may have cured,good for you!
Medications in the tank Also can be hard on fish. So Its a tough call.
Tetra ,it seems to me, ALWAYS recomends adding a product of some sort to fix anything. thats because they sell those, I think. so I would just keep that in mind. good luck.maybe someone else here with more experience with parasites can give you more info.

poysen

AC Members
Aug 16, 2005
Thank you, zazz. I have yet to find time to do my testing/water changes. I need my husband to busy our son who just can't keep his mits off my test kits lol.

Also, a weird addition to my ongoing saga with Sock.. She might be pregnant :eek:. I'm pretty sure she is, but unsure what to do next. I have replaced my carbon filter as of 1pm today removing the remaining fungus medicine in the tank to be safe. A friend guesses she could drop in as little as a week-week and a half. (though I am unsure of his and his mom's experience other than they have a 75 gal tank and 15 gal breeding tank.) I bought a net breeder but have done nothing with her for fear it will cause her to abort. Any suggestions? She's not at all interested in food as of today.. other swordtail (female) was near her earlier and also not interested but she ate recently. Sock, the probable pregnant one still would not eat even when I placed food in water near her.

Would this behavior be part of the pregnancy? And we really should just leave her be?

Here's some photos of her taken this afternoon about 1pm... It's blurry.. but it's the best I can get on digital camera.. (AVI stills) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/poysen/sock2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/poysen/sock3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/poysen/sock4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/poysen/sock5.jpg
I think she possibly looks belly wise like a female swordtail I see in this photo: http://www.joshmadison.com/aquarium/images/fish/swordtail-female-2309- lg.jpg

I have left tank lights off for majority of 2 days to avoid overly stressing them out.. and probably will continue this practice for at least one more day to be safe.

Looking at her with a flashlight shows she has a darker patch at the rear portion of her belly, just before her black markings begin. Not quite black, but darker on her white belly. Her belly kinda looks a bit 'squared off' on the bottom, and very large and rounded from side and front view. Her gills are pink and pumping every second or so. She still has that small red spot on her head. I don't recall having seen any cuts or lesions on her at all. She is still displaying the shimmy behavior.

Assuming she is pregnant is there anything I should/could to to make her as comfortable as possible?

Also, at this point would major water changes (50%+) stress her too much?

One more thing. I know fry are very hard to find. How do I know when she's dropped? Will she act differently? Look different? I'd hate to accidentally vacuum up the fry in a water change!
:eek:

One last thing. Thanks all for being patient with me and helping out. :eek:

Last edited:

Tetras_Rule33

AC Members
Sep 3, 2005
Ontario Canada
I have a female sword tail also who always stays at the left corner by herself. She is the only swordtail in there though. She hasn't come up to eat much. Maybe something is wrong with her. She has been doing this for the last few weeks. I have had her for over 3 months now.

poysen

AC Members
Aug 16, 2005
My test results are same as they have been

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0.50
Nitrate: 5.0

Seems hard to believe with daily changes its not changing.. is it possible that the 25% changes are just enough to sustain the current levels but not enough to lower them?

I was going to do a huge change, but a friend suggested not to go over 25% if I want her to have these fry.. that she could just let babies dissolve if she's not satisfied with conditions.. though given her behavior I think she's just waiting for the right time and place.. She's really big and she's exploring tank. I think she's looking for a birthing place.. for when she's ready.

The latest behavior:

Sock (expectant mom) is not at all interested in food. I tried again tonight.. even placed food near her in tank. She was not at all interested. I don't think I'll press it. She will eat when she's ready I'm sure.. right? Rainbow (other female sword) DID eat this time.. Rainbow was more intrested in Sock earlier feeding to bother to eat.. but she ate on the 2nd feeding.

Rainbow is following Sock around a bit sticking in close proximity of the expectant mother.

Sock is kinda exploring tank and hiding a bit in the plants. She was lying on gravel for a moment or two as well. I'm unsure if she's still shimming at this moment. If she is it's ever so slightly, and hard to detect. She's also doing this near filter stream but this time she's hiding in those ferns on the left side of tank.

Will she look or act differently after she drops the fry? I'd hate to vacuum them up in a water change:(.

Is there anything else I can do to ease stress on her or fry? I've read to cover filter intake with stockings held with a rubberband. Is this suggested? (I have an aqua clear 5-15 power filter, if that helps any)

Also is it suggested to have her give birth in the community tank or a breeder? We don't have many fish to ultimately worry about eating fry (a male guppy about 2 inches long, 2 baby swords about 1 1/2 inches long and one more female swordtail that's slightly smaller than the probable expectant mother) and I'm concerned she might abort because she's not pleased with breeder or comfy whatever the reason.. or just plain moving her could risk that.. and maybe even her health.

I also have a lot of plants in tank.. here's a photo of it empty before I added fish. Only thing added since then was the air pump, and some plants have moved around a bit via gravel disturbances in maintainence.. just slightly.. pretty much try to keep it the same for them so they are used to the layout of tank cover.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/poysen/neontank.jpg

Anything else I should do/know before she does her thing? BTW I'm pretty sure she's pregnant about 98-99% sure, though I welcome your additions to her behavior as well.

Thanks all for the help!

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
25% changes may very well not be enough to lower the levels. There is nothing wrong with doing larger (even 50% back to back if need be)!!! Don't let anyone tell you different!! Just check that the temp. and ph are close!! As for the fry, I don't think they would survive long due to the water conditions, plus the parents will eat them too. I would just let nature take its course this time around and not bother with saving them, if she even has them. Of course, its up to you, but I think getting the tank established should be your main concerne now :)

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
I agree with holly, in times of need, a 50% change is good to make it healthy. (I wouldn't do it once your readings are stable and you are just doing weekly/biweekly changes). Like she said make sure pH and temp are the same.

It sounds to me like she is preg. like you said. squared bellies and a black spot near the belly (gravid spot), are signs. I only had -2-3 fish survive I think, from when mine were pregnant. One day I saw a little orange guy swimming around. lots of grassy stuff (there is plastic babygrass out there, or live plants, Jave moss I think is good) would help protect the babies. And if you happen to see them...they are probably going to be 1/16 of an inch big when you spot them...(this is a guess and I am trying to remember eeek 15 years ago...).

I would say, if you see them, see what you can do to help them survive, but don't stress and go into it with the expectation that none will live. You mentioned maybe having a male?? Then she'll be preg. again and again, and if they are like mollies, they store sperm, so there doesn't even have to be a male around.

poysen

AC Members
Aug 16, 2005
Well, she never survived:( She died in labor and from septcemia. :(. And if that wasn't bad enough, I also lost 2 other swordtails within 2 weeks. (and I was doing up to 75% water changes throughout the illness times.) I have 2 of 5 fish left. One Guppy, One swordtail who is also sick (not sure with what) I'ts on day 4 of medical treatment (fungus clear) It hides most of the day (it was doing this in main tank too) but it does come out late at night when its less noisy... aside from that I'm just hoping it pulls through.. I just dont seem to have much luck with swordtails:(

Thanks you two for the help.. but I guess it was just too late for her.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store