Synodontis petricola Riparium Display

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
This is really interesting... As I figure out what I am going to do for a large tank, I kinda like this idea. Hydro, do you fertalize the water column in this tank?

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
This is really interesting... As I figure out what I am going to do for a large tank, I kinda like this idea. Hydro, do you fertalize the water column in this tank?
Thanks very much! If you consider something like this for your new setup please send me a note. I have put together a few of these and I have a fairly good idea about plant selection and how to grow stuff.

This tank gets just limited water column fertilization. I dose for iron+traces and potassium, but on the light side. Most of the planter cups have a slow-release fertilizer source inside and the plants are getting along well with that. Certainly they also get some of what I add to the water and also utilize the nitrates, phosphates and other nutrients in fish waste.

looking very elegant so far. I love how clean and crisp it looks. A really nice job.
Thanks msjinkzd!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I thought I remember you posting something about using ferts in the pots, couldn't remember though. I will definitely PM you if I go this route, things are still very much up in the air(I do, after all, have to actually move into this new place first).

As a side note, are your syno's out and about much or are they more nocturnal?

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Well just send a PM or post into one of these threads that I have with any questiosn that come to mind. I'll be around.

One of my favorite fertilization methods is to use topsoil in the planter cup as a slow-release nutrient source. Here's a shot of a planter with a Cyperus plant and a pocket of the topsoil + clay mixture that works best for me.

The clay binds up the soil and prevents it from washing out of the planter cup. Plants grown with this material have very little demand for additional fertilization and grow really well.

Here is another quick shot from today.

Algae is growing on the rocks, which I sort of like. The fish like it too. The tan wall is imparting that yellow tinge to everything. I think that I will paint the wall white for picture-taking. I put a couple more (ratty-looking) plants into the underwater area. I want to find a couple-three decent Amazon swords to use there.

I do see the catfish as they dash between rock piles, but they are under cover most of the time. They are eating well and growing fast. I need to stack up a few more rock piles for them.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Thanks for the scoop. Even if I don't wind up incorporating these ideas in my next setup(a large tank), I find your posts very interesting and informative.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I have another quick update from tonight. I have moved the stones around some more.

I got a quick shot of one of the cute little Synodonitis lucipinnis too.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
The Bacopa lawn is finally beginning to cover well. You can see just a couple of little corners of the foam trellis raft around the edges.

It took some time and training to get it to grow like this. As the stems have grown longer I have snipped them off where they reach past the edge of the raft. This encourages branching and more compact growth.

I am still unsure about which Bacopa this is. It looks like monnieri, but I have some of that too and this one has leaves about 2X bigger. DOes anybody have any opinions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store