synodontis questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
First off, are you absolutely positive it is ich? A decent indicator is that the spots are raised. Posting pics here or in the disease section for ID would be a good idea. Doesn't help to treat the wrong pathogen...

Aquarium salt is just NaCl aka table salt. All it does is raise the overall TDS (total dissolved solids). Your SA/CA cichlids and plecs appreciate water lower in TDS than the GSP. To be quite honest I'm of the opinion that aq salt is totally not needed. So personally I would not keep adding that much salt.

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
well the box says that its actually from evaporated sea water, and that it boosts electrolytes or sumn like that

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
ok well, some fish started showing signs of sickness, and im scared. i did a 20 gallon water change (plus an extra 5 gallons that evaporated) removed my carbon bags, and unfortunately during the water change my heater got KO'd cuz it was out of water, started burning the plastic, it didnt break but i got paranoid and threw it away. i did the math and i was supposed to add another 30 teaspoons of salt based on what one poster said, but i only added 20 (i worry that it might be too much) i added quick cure, and then added melafix in the event that there might be other parasites in the water. ill keep you all posted, drop some advice if u think its needed

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
well the box says that its actually from evaporated sea water, and that it boosts electrolytes or sumn like that
My guess is you are using API's salt? If so, check their MSDS...100% NaCl also known as table salt without anti caking ingredients. The only "electrolytes" added are sodium and chloride ions. My advice would be to stop buying it, and, if you absolutely want to add salt, save your money and use table salt instead.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
With that much salt and medication in the tank, make sure the tank is well aerated. Most meds lower the oxygen level in the water.

Blackout the tank until treatment is complete, as light will make the medication ineffective.

And I'm assuming that you replaced the heater, but if not, do it ASAP. Even if your house normally keeps your tank in a comfortable range. Any remedy for ich will only work if the water temperature is high enough to get the ich to detach from the fish. I always had the best luck at 86 degrees when I was dealing with ich.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
You need to be sure of what you are treating before randomly throwing in meds. First off, meds are hard on your fish, second you may not even be treating what is actually wrong with the fish, third treating something that is not the cause for illness is why we have bacteria and parasites that are now resistant to our treatments.

please take some pics so that people knowledgable of illnesses can help. Please throw in some airstones to help out your fish with all those meds.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
if you got new fish, a hospital tank and this wouldnt have happened in your main tank, if not then idk what you did to make the fish go haywire and sick. just keep with high temp (84 works for me up to 86 ) and daily water change. and some salt. and yea keep dosing for a week after the sickness stops to make sure its gone. and i woudlnt use any checmials if that is your next step.

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
well its been a while but the tank is under control.

i cant recall exactly how the tank was where i left off in the story, but heres the scoop:

unemployment checks stopped coming in, so my average fish expenses for the week dropped drastically, couldnt get another heater, i was break-banking when i bought more salt.

because i was doing massive water changes and cleaning the filters often, i felt i needed to add some bacteria. my levels in the tank were perfect (ph stable, no nitrates/trites or amonia) the tank was being dosed daily, water changes every 2 or 3 days, roughly 40 percent changes. the tank got cloudy, then cloudier, and cloudier.. im not sure what was going on, i determined it an algae bloom, but i heard someone at the LFS mention that it may be a bacteria bloom, though i havnt ehard of that before, it reminded me of how i was adding all the extra amounts of bacteria (Nite-out, some liquid stuff) . you couldnt see more than 3 or 4 inches into the tank, decorations were completely shrouded, u couldnt tell in any way shape or form what the design was, let alone if there was a backdrop or anything. i looked through it sideways, and saw only inches thru.

i continued quick cure dosage, my water levels were fine and i think that because the water was so thick, the fish wernt noticing eachother as much, they seemed alot calmer (less stress? mite help?) upped my salt to one tsp per gallon, i can tell tweezy is enjoying it, hes alot more active lately. or maybe the heavy water changing he made him spruce up a bit.

finally, all signs of ich were gone, i continued dosage for another 3 days, ran out of meds, and left it at that, lately ive been doing alot of water changes, and decreasing my light (i think that my combination of bad light timeing habbits (leaving on too long) and 2 big lights (more than i need for sure) is causing phases of algae blooms, it seems to keep happening, but as well i was feeding my tank with alot of plant food as well, trying to keep my plants alive, the last 4 water changes have been without meds and without plant food, so the tank is certainly clear of those, im going to start doing plant food again once the tank clears perfectly, its almost there, another 2 water changes and ill be **** near crystal clear. ill buy some more organic absorption resin and rechage the bag i already have, get rid of the last 70 gall aqua clear and get another 110 (that will be three) but i gotta wait till money comes back around. in the meantime, fish are looking healthy, eatting well, and no sings of ich!

i think the reason for the outbreak was because the synos were getting used to extremely different pH. i think the stress may ahve weakened them and left them succeptable to any parasites they had tagging along with them from the store. though i can never see if i actually still have 6 synos, i drop algae wafers in the water at nite for the plecos and to see how many of the synos come out, they always move in and out, so sometimes i see 1, sometimes i see 5, never seen a full 6. maybe one is long gone, who knows.. found my butterfly pleco dead wedged between rocks in my caves, pleasant surprise in a thorough cleaning...

tank its going well, still have several things i want/need and ill do them a day at at time, thanks for the help all

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store