Synos and ich? Help please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
There is also a new swiss line of aquarium meds out there. It is called Voogle. There is one called first aid for fish. I have used it twice for fungal situations. Once was with fry. They tolerated it very well. Both times it cleared it right up. It is tolerated by inverts, plants etc. It is a little pricey....but I have had god luck with it!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Sorry for the delay, interents been down, here's an update, I'm finally turning to meds, because I am at a loss.
-The larger syno babies (about 1") are free and clear of ich
-The smaller syno babies (still 3/4") still have about 3-6 spots each
-Gouramis free and clear of ich
-Long fin bristlenose free and clear of ich
-Kuhli loaches, free and clear of ich, but they have patches where it looks like skin almost, the stripes are gone
-Male betta, was free and clear, now has a smaller, more crystal/diamond like spots, different from the solid white ones before

Also
My lovely Isabella has died (my possibly calico but prob longfin blue eye female pleco) along with *possibly* a baby syno :( (I found the gourami eating at something that could of been the remains of a dead fish, but could of been something else, like from a plant or something) I've been trying to count them, but they have discovered that they can go up inside the deep cracks of the driftwood and the most I've counted is 4, but I looked for dead bodies and no where else.

Ammonia is 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, and Nitrate about 30ppm

So what is the safest, (plant, catfish, tetra safe) medication that I can use? I'll order it online and pay for express shipping, I don't care at this point. I just want it gone!

Rid ich, my current ich cure? Something else?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Safest usually means the least effective, unfortunately. One of the mildest is methylene blue, but it will stain your silicone seals permanently blue. You could try catching the affected fish and dosing it in a hospital tank.

The alternative is things like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Kordon-Oasis-Novalek-Ich-Attack/dp/B0010723LG
http://www.amazon.com/Microbe-Lift-icha08-Ich-Out-8-Ounce/dp/B001L1R7KS
http://www.amazon.com/Herbtana-Freshwater-Aquariums-8-oz/dp/B00346023W
http://www.amazon.com/Kordon-Oasis-Novalek-KORD-PREVENT/dp/B0002DIM82

I have used NONE of the meds above, btw. I have used only 3 meds for ich - Quick Cure (worked 100% every time) Jungle Ick Clear (didn't work, shouldn't have trusted a medicine that spells Ich wrong), and Copper Safe (it worked, but I wouldn't use it again).

I have no idea about Lifeguard, but you might want to research it...it seems like something handy to have on hand since it treats a variety of illnesses.

I hope you find some answers soon, and your ich abates...good luck!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
So to my surprise, when I got home just now, my male betta has nothing on him!! Everything is gone and there are no signs of ich on him!!:D
As for the synos, the stupid little buggers have figured out they can go INSIDE he driftwood crevices, so all I can see are little white tips.

After I little standing and watching, a couple finally came out and the biggest, darkest ones are spotless, only 2 of them (oddly, the smaller/lighter ones) have about ~3 spots on one side, so they are going away. I don't want to net them out to treat them, I'm worried the stress would kill them. :(

On a happier note, miss Roxanne aka Roxy (my female bn pleco) is doing great!! No signs of ich, fin rot, redness, and she recently discovered she likes zucchini and lettuce (only took a week, lol) My gouramis also have been nibbling on the zucchini as well :)

Thanks for all the list of meds Nicole. I'm gonna take a look and find reviews and order something so even if the ich clears before it gets here, I have something for next time!

(I actually used the Jungle one for my large gold gourami, I asked my stepmom to get me some and that's what she got, that, along with a salt bath, cured her in 2 days! But it's ironic they can't spell ich right.. )

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I use it to treat "ick" on my cherry barbs...it didn't do anything at all in 3 days, and unfortunately I had to leave for a long weekend. So when I came back 3 days later, they all died :(

If it's going away, I would maybe hold off on treatment. If all you're using is the heat method at this point, keep doing water changes and try to match up the temp, I always got it right within 2 degrees with my fingers alone :)

Glad things are getting better!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Aww that's sad. :( I love cherry barbs though! Even the females are pretty in their own way :)

I think I'm going to do that, just up the water changes to daily changes until it's gone. I'm usually pretty good at matching the temp.

And thanks so much, me too!! :D (my poor boyfriend will be happy as well, as I got pretty upset last night when I found Izzy and was in a bad mood, so much to the point where he said that "if they stress you so much, why don't you just get rid of them?" That went over REAL well.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store